Hello

Vicki83
Vicki83 Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Feb 2017, 05:43 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. I'm Vicki and I'm 33. I live just outside Aberdeen and have just experienced the most life changing year of my life.
My original diagnosis was reactive arthritis as I was negative for rheumatoid factor. Now it's generalised to seronegative arthritis. There is not a joint in my body that hasn't been affected by this. My liver and spleen were also inflamed and my bloods are all over the place. I have two young children (just turned two and four). I'm on methotrexate 22.5 but increasing to full dose next week. Also on hydroxychloriquine and trying to get off steroids. Two days before Christmas I was sent to see an orthopaedic surgeon following an MRI. I was told I need a hip replacement 😟
I'm terrified at the thought of surgery but hopeful it will give me some of my life back. I just want to be able to look after my kids without the help of family. I feel completely useless most days as my mobility is seriously reduced. Looking forward to meeting people going through the same as no matter how hard people try they can't fully understand how much this affects every aspect of our lives!

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Vicki
    Just wanted to quickly say welcome, and I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. There are forum members who will be able to give you more specific help with your problems, re THR etc. Living with Arthritis is where most hang out for help and answers to queries, and ChitChat for light relief or to share life's happenings.
    See you around.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Goodness me, that certainly was an awful year!

Any sero-negative type of inflammatory arthritis can be hard to diagnose (precisely because it is sero-neg) but at least you are on the right medication. I, too, take meth and hydroxy (Mine is RA) and they work well for me. I hope they do for you, too.

It is a nightmare trying to combine small children and arthritis. I did it many years ago (My 'small children' are in their 40s now :lol: ). back then there were no decent DMARDS available and for amny years I struggled with NSAIDS and the stomach problems they brought with the occasional blast of steroids. Steroids always seemed miraculous but, of course, they bring their own problems and are not good to be on long term. Getting off them can be very difficult though especially towards the end. Very, very slowly has always been the best route for me.

Your hip must have deteriorated very quickly but hip replacements are some of the most successful operations going. I've had both mine replaced and never had a problem with either. the oldest is about 20 years old.

I'm sure you're not 'completely useless'. What children really need is your love and attention. You might not be able to do all the things you want to do with them but few things beat a cuddle and a story. My two turned out OK :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Vicki83
    Vicki83 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the welcomes.
    That's great to hear your hip replacement has lasted so long. I'm so anxious about the fact I'm so young but at the same time without it my life is pretty limited.
    I agree it's unfair to say I'm completely useless my boys definitely get a lot of love and cuddles and indoor activities from me I just really miss taking them to the park or to the beach. I'm hoping after my op I'll be able to get back to these activities.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Vicky83 and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

As Stickywicket says, hip replacements are some of the most successful operations going and can transform life :D

If you haven't yet found it, here is a link to the Arthritis Care Fact Sheet on Hip Surgery that will help provide some further information:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/231-hip-surgery

Best wishes
    Brynmor