Running and inflammatory arthritis

Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 15. Nov 2017, 07:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is there a definitive answer on whether running is beneficial or detrimental to a person with a form of inflammatory arthritis? I used to really enjoy running and have tried to incorporate some running into my weekly routine. However, my main joint pain and stiffness is in my ankles and feet and my husband believes that running would make my joint symptoms worse. Is this true? I've looked at the arthritis care fact sheet and it suggests walking, cycling, swimming etc for aerobic activity but it doesn't mention running at all.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Non-weightbearing exercise, such as cycling and swimming is good but exercise that stresses the joints, such as running, is not. One up to your husband :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rach101
    :lol: oh well, he has to be right now and again I guess! Do you have any info about running and inflammatory arthritis SW or any links? It does seem logical but I always like to know the reasons for things! (Not an ideal way of thinking with something as bizarre as arthritis I know!)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    On the contrary, it's always good to know the reasons behind things but, to me, this one is fairly straightforward. When we run (We? I've forgotten how :lol: ) our legs hit the ground with much more force than if we're merely walking and that puts a strain on all the joints involved.

Presumably, as / when / if you're in remission you could try to build up slowly again but I'd talk it over with your doc first.

Here's AC's booklet on exercise https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The impact on the joints is harsh in terms of one's body-weight being channelled through the hips, knees and ankles but, when one has been used to doing such a thing, it must be very difficult to accept that things have changed.

I was never a runner but I miss dancing and tennis, both high-impact activities joint-wise, but they never were when I could do them without discomfort, pain and payback. Gosh, those were the days, I thought they would never end, but they did. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    I used to love running too so I feel your pain (literally!!!) However you could try rapid walking (where you always have one foot on the ground) as it's less impact but still aerobic. Some people use those nordic walking poles to have an upper body workout at the same time. It's best to et the right balance between exercise (and all its benefits) and not damaging yourself further /still enjoying it.
  • WhaleRoad
    WhaleRoad Member Posts: 32
    Here's some advice I found:http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/can-i-run-with-rheumatoid-arthritis

I was a runner before inflammatory arthritis. My rheumatologist and physiotherapist told me to avoid high impact exercise like running. Like you, my feet and ankles are worst affected. But after six months on medication, losing some of the weight gained when I was inactive, and generally building up my strength through Pilates, I felt ready to run again. It's always been important to me for my mental health, which is at least just as important as my feet.

I went for my first run (in a long time) this weekend. I probably could have chosen a cooler and less humid time and I had to pop some naproxen earlier or I wouldn't have contemplated it, but I felt great afterwards. I took it easy, just 30 minutes on the flat. A little shoulder pain while running, nothing more. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but I've felt worse after cycling to be honest.

Did you make a decision?
  • Rach101
    Hi WhaleRoad, I did decide to give up running as I'd started a new job and didn't want any difficulties to be blamed on the running. However, my joint pain and other problems have stayed the same without the running, the only difference is that I'm more miserable and feel sorry for myself more! I'm in a flare at the moment so am struggling and it seems that flares are just random and not connected to exercise. I'm reducing my hours at work and think that I may try a bit of easy running again then, I have always found that exercise makes me feel good and I've never had worsened pain as long as I've increased very slowly. Work on the other hand has been very hard and exhausting. I feel I need to do some exercise for my mental health and actually I've spoken to a Physio and a few other people who have said that exercise (including running) is good for joints. I know that I'm very lucky as I don't have any joint damage, it is just the pain and swelling that's causes me difficulty.
    Anyway, I hope you suffered no ill effects from your run! Let me know how it goes, Rach x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I too used to be a runner. My knees started hurting so I gave up, thinking I shouldn't run as it would damage my joints. My rheumie, however, told me to continue running as it was beneficial. I found it too painful so I haven't run in a few years. There was an article on tv a short while ago which said that the body is made for running so is well able to withstand the shock of the feet hitting the ground. It's like most things - it's good for us one year and bad for us the next.

How are you all doing with your running? I've got my treadmill set up and go on for a few minutes now and again. Seems ok although I get a bit too out of breath but that's probably down to being very unfit now.
    Christine
  • WhaleRoad
    All seems to be going okay with the running. I've had iliotibial band syndrome in the past and noticed some knee twinges again, so I've got the foam roller out - ouch. I've gained weight though - not what I was going for. Hopefully muscle.

Rach, sorry to hear you're having a rough time - hopefully you'll be able to safely manage some gentle running if it makes you feel better. I'm taking it really easy but it is still beneficial.
    x
  • Rach101
    Hi all, I'm glad your running is going well so far. Ive just been reading The Run Walk Run method by Jeff Galloway and think I may give it a go as a bit of a compromise. He says that run walking is much easier on the body and reduces the risk of injury and fatigue are etc. I'll let you know how I get on xx
  • WhaleRoad
    Good luck - I used the same method years ago and it's fantastic for building up stamina. x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I used to use that method when I wanted to build up from scratch after a break. It works very well until you are fitter. Good work with it.
    Christine
  • Rach101
    Hi both. Yes I used a run walk plan when I first started running and about 6 months ago when I tried running again. Each time I moved on to continuous running but this time I'm thinking of using it long term to keep any flares to a minimum. Watch this space!
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    Just found this thread and like several of you, prior to arthritis I was a very keen fell and long-distance (ultra) runner. It's been a bit of a struggle back to fitness, but I am still running, albeit not quite at the same level - particularly in the mornings, when my body stiffness is at its worst.

I maybe get away with it because I don't run on roads much and running on nice soft grass and muddy trails is much easier on your joints. I'm of the opinion that the mental health benefits massively outweigh any detrimental effects, because as has been said here already - we were born to run!

My arthritis does affect my pelvic and glute muscles, so the only real negative is that my glute med. can be sore after a long run, but generally I tolerate it well.
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    I'm just going to caveat my post above as I feel I might have not properly expressed how I cope with my arthritis and running: The issue (for me) is not so much the impact on my joints, more the level of inflammation that running can generate. For instance, last night I went to my running club and did a hard interval session of around 6 miles, most of those miles would have been with an elevated heart-rate (so anaerobic) and it's these circumstances that cause me the most problems the following day, I guess my system struggles to cope with the increased level of inflammation and today I'm feeling it, but by way of example I did 15 miles over the fells on Sunday and felt none the worse for it.

I should add that I suffer from an inflammatory form of arthritis and am at week 7 on methotrexate (20mg) treatment. I am on a reducing dose of prednisolone, currently down to 4.5mg and aiming to be at 2.5mg by the end of the month. I'm thinking that my adrenal system should be waking up soon ...

Martyn