ankle fusion verus ankle replacement

Options
aliann
aliann Member Posts: 7
edited 13. Feb 2017, 14:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I had corrective surgery as a child for a club foot. My right ankle was thinner than my left ankle and my right foot shorter and broader than my left foot.

Three years ago I was referred to an orthopaedic surgeon as my right ankle had become swollen and it was painful to walk. X-ray revealed that the cartilage in the ankle joint has worn aware and that in the future I would probably need an ankle fusion or perhaps an ankle replacement. The time to do such a procedure would depend on how long pain killers would allow me to walk about.

I now have to take more pain killers and I have asked my GP for a referral back to the orthopaedic surgeon for a review. Has any one in the forum been in a similar situation as this and had surgery? If so what kind, fusion or ankle replacement? Any advice is very welcome

Aliann

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't personally but my brother in law had the fusion (both ankles one at a time) and doesn't not regret it at all.

Recovery isn't super-quick and his ankle is sort of rigid, but he doesn't wear heels and is now pretty much pain free.

Do let is know how you get on

Toni x