OA in both shoulders

Options
purpleowl
purpleowl Member Posts: 231
edited 15. Feb 2017, 15:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

I haven't been around for a couple of years but do still look in occasionally to see what's going on with you all.

I am struggling sleeping at the moment as I have OA in both my shoulders. I've had a steroid injection which gives me a few months of temporary relief but I know there isn't a cure. My GP says shoulder operations aren't very successful. I was wondering if any of you use a memory foam mattress and whether you think investing in one would help (I see they are very expensive). Has anyone had a successful shoulder operation?

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome back.

We have had successful shoulder ops on here but I think the shoulder is not operated on as readily as eg hips and knees. Having said that I know 'frogmorton''s daughter has just had one (I think there's a thread lower down) and I think it was 'mermaid' who said she'd had one many years ago though I believe they only normally reckon they last about 10 years.

Shoulders can be very painful things as it's so hard to get the arms into a position in which the shoulder is comfortable.

Beds, too, are tricky though a good one might make all the difference. I've had a memory foam mattress. It certainly supported my joints well but it was hot and it's actually quite difficult turning over in bed on one as you are well-bedded down before you want to. We finally replaced it with one that is 1/3 double sprung and 1/3 memory foam. For me this is perfect. Others get a similar effect with an ordinary mattress and a mattress topper. Don't discount the potential value of a shaped memory foam pillow either. I take mine everywhere with me.

Sleep is hugely important and natural sleep is best so however much a good bed costs it is worth it. It can also be worth the extra expense of going to a good store which will let you have it on trial for a while. In any case always try before you buy. Swallow your pride and lie on possible ones in the showroom for as long as it takes.

I hope you find a suitable one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Many thanks for the information Sticky wicket, I'll have to do some research.