I vacced

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 18. Feb 2017, 07:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Our 'fully laminated' house is easy to vac especially with the cordless but.....

I vacced.

Then I vacced again to pick up all the bits that, when you have laminate, come out of hiding as soon as you've finished.

They they delivered Mr SW's new recliner, trailing in dirt, so I vacced again.

Then Mr SW came in from gardening bringing half the garden in on his trainers so I vacced again.

THAT'S IT!

Any more muck can stay. I'm all vacced out.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry you are vacured Sticky .Hubby vacs the stairs with a small nearly useless handheld came and said think its had its day its not picking much up maybe the bag wants to be emptied what bag says he he'd only been doing it without the bag attached. MEN.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I vac, I vacced, I vacuumed.........
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    My previous house had laminate in the living/dining room which I wasn't too keen on but as it was only a year old I couldn't justify changing it. Over the years I got more and more fed-up with it - cold, slippery, and seeming to attract dust in quantity. It wasn't helped by having open stairs in the corner of the room which had wooden treads and so were happy to shed dust everytime I went up or down. My vac wasn't much use at cleaning it and the hard surface made it a noisy job so I got a dry mop - one of those with cotton waxed thread anti-static heads - which could be whizzed round the room (and easily under furniture to catch the ever-breeding dust bunnies)
    When I moved, putting carpet down was high on the list of things to do once the renovations were finished.
    Interestingly I have had far fewer problems with dust-related allergies,(just as well as the severity has increased in recent years!) presumably because the dust isn't constantly being disturbed when moving around the room or when the heating makes the air circulate.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    :roll:

Daffy - we have laminate in our new bungalow here and it does bread dust-bunnies!!

I am going to - this very day even! Purchase one of those dry mops.

Like you it's too new to trash...yet :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Toni, the irony is that I remember my mother and her mother having a dry mop for their floors - mum for the wood floors in all our houses, and granny for her parquet floors in-between the thorough cleaning and waxing that the cleaning lady did every few weeks. They also both used a damp(ie not a wash mop and bucket) version for the tiled floors in the kitchen, hall etc
    These days machines have taken over and are good for large areas and thorough cleaning, but grabbing a mop and doing a quick swish over is a lot quicker for everyday use - and in my case meant it was likely to get done rather than being put off until I could be bothered to get out the vacuum cleaner!
    If I'd been intending to stay longer I would have got carpet put down over the laminate I think - to provide extra insulation over the concrete floor. In my current house the laminate was beginning to show its age(good quality but had been down for at least 20 years, possibly nearer 30), and there were evidently problems with the surface underneath in places. I had thought that there would be floorboards underneath that might be usable. Turned out that it was more like thin narrow planks laid straight on concrete and had been badly damaged in places so a case of make good and put carpet down.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We had laminate put down in our hallway and lounge-diner. This replaced carpets which were over 50 years old but OK-ish because they were good quality: the underlay, however, had rotted which was not so pleasant.

Yes, the laminate shows the dust but it is so easy to swipe over with one of those mops (I bought mine as soon as the floor was done). We have now put down two large rugs (Mr DD's desire, not mine) and they are driving me potty; the furniture can no longer be moved / slid as easily out of the way for cleaning to take place because we put felt pads on the base of the legs etc. so they wouldn't damage the laminate! I need his help to remove the pads but if he decides he doesn't like the rugs . . . . . I still love my cordless vacs, they are so easy to grab and go; even he does in the kitchen where he makes the most mess. Bless.

I always damp-dust the surfaces and the steam mop takes care of the kitchen floor - now that is a boon! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    you must be all vacced out..my friend goes over her laminate with an antistaic mop and thats it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I seem to have hit a few raw nerves here :lol:

I do much prefer the laminate and so do my nostrils which required a steroid nasal inhaler in the old, part-carpeted house. I don't think there's more dust with laminate (How could there be?) but it's more obvious and so - in my case at least - more quickly dealt with because dealing with it is so easy. Vaccing the living room caused a great deal of shoulder / wrist protest previously whereas now I can whizz through the whole house.

Once a week I do it properly though, using and anti-static duster in all the cracks between furniture then the anti-static mop to gather everything into a pile or piles which I then vac up. If, as they say, dust is mostly shed skin cells, we ought to be disappearing fast :lol:

I like frog's term 'dust bunnies' :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright