Not been around for a while!!

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 20. Feb 2017, 06:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello Guys & Girls, Sorry haven't been around for a while, I've had up and down days. But happy to inform you heating is now sorted and I'm weight bearing on my foot that was operated on. As for not so good news my OH and I have now had to cancel our holiday for the 3rd time due to problems getting a disability room! Every time we look into it and find we can get a disability room everything looked fine but when we booked it they couldn't guarantee we would get a disability room so we had to cancel again!! So we are getting fed up trying to sort a hotel in a destination we both like for the next weeks!!
Also I'm going to see my wonderful orthopaedic consultant on Thursday afternoon for my hopeful sign off on my foot. Due to have X-Rays on it to make sure all is good! My stitches have dissolved and the scabs have fallen off now and you wouldn't know I had an operation on it just a couple of months ago.
Hope you all have a good weekend! :animal_busy:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Excellent news, bubbadog :D Well done!

Re the holiday - I'm sorry it's fallen through. Do you actually need a disabled room or would any ground floor room (or upstairs one if there's a lift) do? Apart from the walk-in shower, I usually dislike disabled rooms as everything can be too low for me to manage. Just a thought.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Our last disabled room cost a fortune and was an absolute disaster - smaller than the suite we had originally booked (we were shunted despite our objections because the lift was out of order) and it had four air-con units sited right outside the window which hummed and thrummed 24/7.

We're going away soon, we've rented a bungalow complete with pool so I must find my costume and shake out the moths. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    HI
    we have been having similar issues booking our holiday, although we did not ask for a disability room just a guaranteed walk in shower. I can`t believe it has been such a big deal to have this simple request okayed in advance of making a payment. One hotel ( we are doing a 3 centre holiday) said we had to pay a non refundable fee (which was over 1000 for the 5 days) before would tell us if we definitely could have one. Obviously we did not book with them! We have hopefully got it sorted now and will find out for sure tomorrow.
    Sticky- I agree that for me also a disability room would have facilities that are too low for my needs. I just can`t cope with a bathtub anymore.
    I hope you can get sorted with something Bubba, and am pleased that your foot surgery has been an success.
    NB
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    What we say is if we can't get an adapted room the room must have a walk in shower and if no lifts a ground floor room. Our travel agents know all this now as we have always used the same one! So when we start looking and decide on a location they are on the case, they usually email my husband a few hotels and if he spots any others we call them and ask about them. The annoying thing with the hotel in Cape Verde was they refused to email a written confirmation that we would have either an adapted room or a room with shower so Thomson refused to take a verbal okay in case something happened to cover their backs.
    But now we have found a stunning hotel in Hurghada, Egypt with Thomas Cook and have booked to go there in April. So looking forward to it. :sun:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    When you see your consultant on Thursday please check that it's OK for you to fly so soon after the op. I know Egypt isn't long haul but I'd guess 5 hours or so? And also check with your travel insurance people.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright