Hi, I'm new and looking for advice :)

Options
margymoo17
margymoo17 Member Posts: 2
edited 1. Mar 2017, 10:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, I'm 47 and started with symptoms last Summer and by Christmas I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis :( Thankfully no skin problems at the moment, just my joints. At first I had very achey hips and lower back with restricted movement (which are now feeling much better after a steroid injection in December). I am now into my 4th week of Sulphasalazine and on my full dose of 4x 500mg per day....but I seem to be getting worse. I now have swelling and aches in my wrists and ankles, my knees and upper back ache and the last few days my feet are hurting when I walk. I have also notice that I get so very, very tired and I've been suffering with a bit of anxiety. No other noticeable side effects as yet from the Sulphasalazine.

I was just wondering if there is anybody else with a similar experience to mine and will things improve? This is all new to me and I'm feeling very down about it and worried what the future will hold for me.

Thank you for reading my story :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi margymoo17,
    and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry that you have been having such a tough time with your psoriatic arthritis. We have quite a few members on here who also have psoriatic arthritis and I'm sure they will be along shortly to share their experiences with you. There are also quite a few members who take sulphasalazine. I have done a quick search for you and you can find a list of threads covering this topic here http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=sulphasalazine&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
    we also have some more information about psoriatic arthritis generally and a link to our FAQ sheet which you can download here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/a-z-of-types/85-psoriatic-arthritis if you would like to join in general conversations about your arthritis it is a good idea to post your new threads in the "living with arthritis" forum as this is where most people visit on a daily basis. If you would like to chat generally about life our "chit chat" forum is also very popular.

Please keep us up-to-date with how you're getting on and you might like to consider phoning your rheumatology helpline and explain to them that you are experiencing more pain as they will be the best people to be able to judge what would be most appropriate action.
    Best wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there, margymoo17 and welcome from me, too. I have RA rather than PsA but they are all beasts from the same stable and, on the whole, use the same meds.

This will all be very new and scarey for you right now but things will improve as you adjust to your new circumstances and the medication begins to kick in.

The symptoms you describe (“ I now have swelling and aches in my wrists and ankles, my knees and upper back ache and the last few days my feet are hurting when I walk. I have also notice that I get so very, very tired and I've been suffering with a bit of anxiety. “) sound very much like those of any inflammatory arthritis rather than a side-effect of the sulphasalazine which has probably not yet begun to work efficiently. Most DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs) can take up to 12 weeks to work. The steroid injection you had in December is probably wearing off now so you are being hit with a double whammy. And you know the really nasty bit? Anxiety just makes it worse. That's so unfair, isn't it?

I'd say hang on in there. It should start to get better soon though some people have to try more than one medication before they hit on the right one(s) for them. If you're worried you can call your rheumatology helpline for advice. And you can always talk to us. We can't take it all away but we can sympathise and empathise and that, I think, is the best bit of these forums.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright