Hot flushes

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 10. Mar 2017, 17:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
First of all sorty for being AWOL for a while, very up and down at present so will do a fuller catch up post at the weekend.
Just s quick question re hot flushes.

I never had any when going through my menopause and had a blood test about 5-6 years ago which showed I was through it and post-menopausal.

Recently though, over the past 4-5 months I have started getting what I can only describe as hot flushes. I have noticed that they seem to be worse when my pain is bad and affect my upper body/shoulders/head which is where I get most pain. I have cervical spondylosis, OA in my lower back, and have recently been diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome. Could this be the cause?

Gilli
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Have you checked your meds leaflets for side effects?

(Lovely to see you. Sorry about the reason.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    No I haven't, will do. Thanks Sticky
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wouldn't count on it not being the menopause either my ex MIL had flushes well into her early 60's despite finishing her periods in her early 50's.

They do rather tend to be chest head and neck.

Stickywicket is right though some meds can give you them. My daughter got them on steroids and chemo.

Ex MIL started getting them again a few years back and this time it was her thyroid!

If it was me I'd make a note of the frequency and times and then discuss them with my GP next time l go or earlier if they are too awful to cope with.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Thanks for the advice. I am on steroids at present, gradually reducing them so I will keep a check.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Slosh,

Like you I'm post menopause, and wondered about the hot flushes, since swapping methotrexate for leflunomide they've disappeared....I am much relieved. I'm sure some of our meds cause all manner of odd things, but it is tempting to blame them for everything.

Deb x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I went through the menopause about 6 years ago. The family planning nurse told me the hot flushes could last for a lot of years after that. My rheumie (I have RA and OA) told me that they were down to inflamed joints. I'm not on any meds.
    Christine