Just diagnosed!

Sue
Sue Member Posts: 40
edited 24. Mar 2017, 13:52 in Say Hello Archive
Is this the correct place to seek help and advice for someone just diagnosed with severe OA?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Sue from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator John
  • Sue
    Thank you Sharon.

I have posted in the living with arthritis as you suggested.
    Reading some of the posts from people with OA in their necks, as I have, a good pillow is recommended. I can understand this as trying to get some sleep is fair near impossible. I have asked for suggestions on the type and web sites where I could purchase one but I haven't had any response to this. Is there anything yiu can do to help?

Thanks very much.
    Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I posted about my Tempur pillow on one of your 'Say Hello' threads. I apologise for not replying before now but I haven't found the thread where you asked for further details. :oops:

I bought mine from John Lewis on the day we went to research new mattresses. I knew it would be a long day so I took my Kindle. We were there for over four hours and it was the assistant who brought us the pillows to try out. One was firm and one was softer, I loved the firm and he the other so that is what we have. (Our mattresses are also different, mine firm and his medium.) Both were so comfortable that we nearly ended up asleep in the middle of a busy showroom.

All the other memory foam pillows I bought were on spec - i.e. I was not able to try them. There are some things which should not be bought online and, to my way of thinking, memory foam pillows are one of them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sue
    Thanks very much for this.

The problem I have is that I live in the Isle Of Man. I can find only one shop who sell Temour pillows and that is only one type. Looking on the Temour web site I can see only three ergonomic pillows and the only difference appears to be the size.

I know that I need to get a good pillow as trying to sleep is awful,my worst time of day. I may just have to try the only one I can buy locally.

Kind regards,
    Sue
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Sue
    it may be worth speaking to a local physiotherapist or occupational therapist as they can recommend pillows for you and you can try them out. When my neck was first painful my physiotherapist recommended tying a silk scarf around the middle of a pillow making the pillow look like a bow. The aim was to cradle my head. I did find it very useful but I would recommend you check out this idea with a local physiotherapist. I can't use memory foam pillows they give me sores on my ears so it really is difficult to recommend a site.
    However I did find this Isle of Man government site about self referring to a physiotherapist so hopefully this will help https://www.gov.im/categories/health-and-wellbeing/therapy-services/physiotherapy-services/physiotherapy-self-referral/
    There are also other companies who make memory foam pillows so your local shop may stock those.
    I hope this is helpful
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, that is a complication! Mine isn't ergonomic, it's a standard shape and size but heavy; on my poorer days my husband has to change the pillowcases. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sue
    Hi Sharon, I tried your silk scarf suggestion last night. Made a pillow into a bow. It actually did help a bit. I will keep doing this until I find the elusive magical pillow I am looking for. I have also posted in the "Living" forum about this. There are some amusing stories regarding pillows! Lol.
    Thanks for the advice.