Newly diagnosed with RA

Coops
Coops Member Posts: 4
edited 24. Mar 2017, 10:04 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

As title, 45 yo male, GP's diagnosis confirmed yesterday at first consultant appointment. I've gone from fit and well to here in about 10 weeks, so it's all come as a bit of a shock.

So, here we go, steroid depo yesterday, waiting for next appointment to start proper meds after counselling.

But, I'm very much a glass half full kinda guy, so expect many posts containing rank stupidity and inappropriate humour.

All the best,

Paul.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I like the sound of rank stupidity and inappropriate humour, both get me through on a daily basis. :wink:

I am sorry you have had to find us, I'm an old hand at the arthritis nonsense so it's a way of life, not the life I really wanted or hoped for but we don't have a say in how things turn out, do we? It may not feel too positive to you but receiving a rapid diagnosis is a benefit, I am sure that the sooner one begins the meds the better the outcome can be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Coops
    Thank you for your kind words DD,

It has indeed been 'rapid', I cannot fault my GP at all, although given the wide variety of sore, swollen and painful joints, nodules and the shambling wreck I've become in the past 10 weeks, it was obvious something was going badly wrong.

I've just received my next consultants appointment for early April, so that should see the DMARD's start and hopefully set me on the recovery track...

Fingers crossed (figuratively, as actually doing that would hurt a lot right now). :D
  • dreamdaisy
    You're more than welcome, how lovely to be thanked! GPs are generally much better now when it comes to recognising the symptoms of an inflammatory arthritis. I began in 1997 and my then GP hadn't a clue, just told me that things would sort themselves out. My experience of doctors up until then had always been positive (I had a lot of experience) so I stupidly believed her. I started the meds in 2002, all far too little and far too late but I have seen for myself, as I attend my rheumatology appointments, how things have improved. I'm the one who now stands out for all the wrong reasons. :lol:

RA can be particularly aggressive but every individual's experience is just that. My flavour is psoriatic arthritis (PsA), I am not troubled that much by my skin but over the years it's had good go at my joints and the damage has led to osteo arthritis in some useful places; this was diagnosed in 2011. You name the DMARD, I've probably tried it but my current is injected methotrexate which supports an anti TNF called humira. These are keeping things nicely in check which is a good thing. For both I need pain relief which I keep to the minimum - that way I always have an escape route. I am currently needing that escape route and I am grateful it's there.

My rheumatologist ignores the OA and my GP likewise the PsA. I have to pay some attention to both diseases but never as much as they demand - I refuse to give them the satisfaction. There are two articles on the web which you might find of interest, one is The Spoon Theory and the other There's a Gorilla in my House. Both explain living with chronic conditions in a straightforward and accessible manner and might also be of interest to your family and close friends: your diagnosis will also affect them. DD
  • Coops
    Again, my thanks.

I'll make sure to lookup those articles you mention. :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Again, you're welcome and I hope you find the articles to be of interest. DD