As usual, it's a little thing for a camel.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Mar 2017, 02:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Those who know me could say I resemble a camel (thank your lucky stars that you don't, the spitting is not an attractive habit :oops: ) but I think that particular cliché is true; straws do break a camel's back. For me the current straw is my fingernails.

I am used to my toenails not behaving as they should but now the ones people can see are joining the party. They all broke around a month ago (stuff happens) and they were returning but they've gone again. The ridging is increasing despite my care and today, after a rather active morning of making up beds and shifting furniture (albeit with help), six have split vertically so all are filed to nothing. They weren't that long to start with but they were getting stronger.

I am peeved. I don't wear make-up ( my natural beauty is enough, can't beat those camel eyelashes :wink: ), spend next to nothing on my very short hair (I can't see it, if it offends others they don't have to look) and stopped biting my nails after fainting in our old kitchen: I bit the solid oak work top on my way down, leaving myself unable to bite, admittedly an extreme way to cure nail-biting but it worked so my nails are a source of pride. Not at the moment they're not but that fits with how things currently are.

For whatever reason (why do I need one?) the tramadol nights are still with me, the pain in my right leg is ridiculous (despite the trammies last night sleep didn't happen as it could) and today has been busy in preparation for tomorrow. We have friends coming for dinner and I politely offered beds for the night, my thinking being 'They won't stay, the clocks are going forwards and it's Mothers' Day' but they are staying, all four plus a Labrador. YE GODS. Shall we play 'Spot the Twerp' or is that too easy? :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD you are going through it..not sure about the nails are the acrylics ones no use..my nails are pitted but don't split the same since i started using Nail en*y..you paint it on every other day hopefully your friends will change there minds..I would be coming up with an excuse..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I can understand how you feel, it always seems to be the little things that get us, I think it's because we prepare for the bigger things so they don't get us and then something "little" sneaks in.

Are there anyways you could set things up so your guests don't stay as long? Dog has to stay in garden? You've gone vegan? The water has been cut off? I sometimes watch "Three in a bed" where B and B owners check out eachothers properties and you might get some ideas there.

Or I have seen advertised for sale (honestly), re-usable fabric toilet wipes to use instead of loo paper...
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply and I apologise for not replying before now - the weekend was busy.

I have that stuff, Barbara, it is indeed very good but only if you apply it :wink: I had been, and was thinking 'I'll put that on later when I've finished this,' when . . . . Serves me right. I also use Av*pl*x cuticle oil which stimulates nail growth, I must re-establish the good habit of using both together. Making constant efforts to help matters wear one down while watching others blithely sail through because they flaming well can . . . . . :x

Slosh, the evening went so well that The Spouse didn't blunder into bed until 2am (or was it 3?). The dog, Bruce, was a dream guest. He's a working golden lab and trained to the nth degree: he is welcome any time! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben