costochondritis?!?!?!

5hellsbells
5hellsbells Member Posts: 49
edited 2. Apr 2017, 04:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if anyone suffers from costochondritis?

Several times since commencing on this journey that is RA..if felt pain in my chest...best way to describe it mostly is like ive done a lot of excercise while wearing an underwire bra!! Sore.. but nothing to alarm me...and i have mentioned this to Rheumy who didnt seem concerned at all..

However..the past few days its come back and last night got pretty sore to the point where i reached for the ibuprofen...

My thinking is ive recently changed from MTX to sulfa...so im assuming the MTX is no longer working its magic..while the Sulfa hasnt yet kicked in (only on week 3)

Again...im not overly concerned..ive checked on a couple of sites that i trust not to scare the hell out of me! (Lesson learnt from when i was 1st diagnosed!) But just thought id check in here as i find the folk in here reassuring while still honest! To see if this sounds like a "typical" experience....

Thanks again

Shelly
X

Comments

• charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey,

Yeah this is an awful thing - I get it too. First time I had it I thought I was having a heart attack - the best thing I found was sitting in a straight back chair and breathing slowly and then building it up to deeper breaths. It might hurt a bit at first but done very gently I found it eases it. And hot water bottles helped me too.

Anti inflammatory meds are good yeah I have etoricoxib - but foods are natural anti inflammatory too like celery, cabbage and cucumber. Eating plenty greens combats inflammation for sure (but you're taking to a hippy here lol)

xx
  • 5hellsbells
    5hellsbells Member Posts: 49
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks Charleeh.

Yeah...i was scary at 1st..and if i hant have experienced it in milder form prior to going on Sulpha...id have prob assumed it was them.

I had my bloods yesterday and nurse agreed it prov just due to change in meds..so thats reassured me a bit.

It hadnt even dawned on me before this that there were joints there!!

I dont know if it is costochondritis or not..but reading about it was like reading about my own symptoms..

Im on week 4 of sulpha now..up to 4 tabs a day..so hopefully they will kick in soon..Until then..ibuprofen can be my best buddy!!

Thanks again for the reply xx