Hi

wendgro
wendgro Member Posts: 296
edited 7. Apr 2017, 08:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
at last got back on the sight just needed a chat to those who know about arthritis pain you talk to people and they sympathise but don,t understand. Question I wanted to ask about are flare ups causes and how to treat and is there such a thing .I have osteoarthritis had both hips replaced plus knee and it resurfaced but still in a lot of discomfort what seems to be all my joints from shoulders to elbows wrists and so on any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello stranger, how lovely to hear from you again albeit for the wrong reason. I am sorry that your OA is misbehaving at the moment, we all get that from time to time and we all wonder why. For me it shows that I have been overdoing things, pushing myself and my joints too far so they protest by upping the pain. I don't call that a flare because I have an auto-immune one too and when that misbehaves it's a very different kettle of fish. I regard it as punishment for my audacity.

I prefer my OA because it is much more honest in how it presents and in what it does. I can control it to a certain extent by knowing when to stop rather than thinking I can do more: I can do more but of course will be 'punished' for my enthusiasm :wink: It is also affected by the weather but that is out of my control, that's a case of grin and bear it because there is no alternative.

I hope you are able to rest, keep well-hydrated and take a regular dose of pain relief (I aim for every six hours in the challenging times). Cosset your joints as much as you can and I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    how nice to hear from you and your sensible conversation.Yes I did overdo it a few weeks ago 74 and flew for the first time to visit our great grandson son only away 4days but oh my have I paid the price I have upped my meds even snuck in a few ibuprofen which help alot (I shouldn,t take them ) felt a lot better after a week or so then over did it again at the weekend I will never learn.
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh honey, I think you've found your culprit! Flying to me (no matter how short the journey) equals lots of walking, lots of sitting around waiting, some contortion (the journey itself), more sitting around and more walking. Then comes the fun for however long then it's all repeated to get home. None of it is conducive to arthritic joints, be they real or fake, but the good times that result should make it all worthwhile. Did you opt for assistance at the airports? I'm no expert but someone on here is - and currently away somewhere sunny.

We all 'overdo' things from time to time, it's called life. Family and work demands rumble on despite our maybe not being able to keep up with the required physicality. I'm struggling after entertaining friends to dinner on Saturday evening. I half-heartedly invited them to stay over, thinking that as the clocks were going forward and Sunday was Mother's Day they would all do the decent thing and depart (all the involved females apart from me were mums, even if the offspring were adults). No such luck.

I hope that the memories created are worth the payback. I can't remember why you shouldn't take ibuprophen :oops: but you did and they helped. To me that is what counts, the docs live with theory whereas we face the reality - a very different ball game. DD

PS Me - sensible? :? My word. :shock: I can hear my late Ma roaring with laughter :wink: I am familiar with my arthritic onions and always try to help others but that's a compliment indeed and has cheered me - thank you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello again, we're a few days on and I was wondering how things are going; I hope things have eased and you are feeling better in yourself. DD