Exercise bike?

AliB
AliB Member Posts: 41
I am due a hip replacement in a few weeks and am wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in an exercise bike beforehand just to try and keep my muscles fairly strong...would this be a good idea or should I perhaps ask this at my pre op assessment this week ?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi AliB

Thanks for your post to Helplines, although cycling is a really good exercise, I wonder being that your pre op assessment is so soon whether it might be worth hanging on to check this out with a medical professional prior to buying the bike. You could ask a physiotherapist about this too. It is important to be as fit as you can be before having surgery, and as you mention your muscles being fairly strong I am guessing you are.

You might like to take a look at the Arthritis Research UK publication on ‘Hip replacement surgery’ which may be of interest: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery.aspx

And also our ‘Exercise and Arthritis’ booklet: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1313-exercise-and-arthritis

You are welcome to give us a ring on our Freephone Helplines: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 9.30 – 5) if you would like to talk anything through.

Best wishes
    Lynda
    Helplines team
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi AliB

I am sure an exercise bike would be great to use post op but you would be strongly advised to seek guidance from the physio as to when you would be ready for this.

I have got two exercise bikes from my local freecycle. I wore the first one out ;) People appear to buy them thinking it is a good idea and often find they cannot be bothered or it is boring so they are then keen to get rid of them.

I wish you well when you have your THR.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.