Food supplements- do they work?

Sue
Sue Member Posts: 40
edited 16. Apr 2017, 04:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have tried to find a supplement which helps with Oesteoarthritis. It's a totally bewildering challenge!
I am currently trying Solgar 7. Amongst other things they contain Turmeric and ginger, which I have been told are helpful.
Has anyone any experience of this one?
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Sue

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The only thing I think works for me is golden paste i.e. turmeric, it helps the pain, but I would not take it as a supplement, it is a recipe from the Turmeric Users UK facebook page.

I do also take fish oil, glucosomine and a multi-vitamin, but have no idea if they help or not.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Mostly no though one or two might make minor differences. Here's a very comprehensive analysis of them from ARUK http://tinyurl.com/lxa5x56 .

Always remember, when taking supplements, to check with the pharmacist or GP that they won't interact either with your prescribed meds or with each other.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Some things seem to work for some people, so can be worth trying if you want, but as Sticky says check for interactions. It's worth remembering that just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean it can't cause problems. Some plants may cause problems for people with aspirin sensitivity for instance.
    Personally I remain dubious of 'concentrated active ingredients'. The other things that come with the original source might be at least as important as the isolated ingredient,(as has now been established with VitC from fruit cf ascorbic acid from a lab for instance) in producing potential beneficial effects. Also I always remember my father(a research chemist) querying the wisdom of garlic oil capsules, knowing as he did how unpleasant the concentrated oil can be.
  • aaronharrigan
    aaronharrigan Member Posts: 1
    I am currently trying CBD oil which can be bought legally in good health stores. I have inflammatory arthritis and it is working. Worth a go !

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I take a daily multivit mainly because I don't always eat as well as I should and I also work in a primary school, I did check with my pharmacist first though. I also take a vitD supplement as reccomended by my GP.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    I am currently trying CBD oil which can be bought legally in good health stores. I have inflammatory arthritis and it is working. Worth a go !

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Hello Aaron,

Welcome to the forum. May I just repeat what has been mentioned earlier, please check with the prescriber of any medication you are taking that CBD oil won't have any adverse reaction. That also applies to any combination of supplements you take as well though the chemist would be the person to chat to in that case.

Do look around the various threads and forums - just join in wherever you feel most at home

Take care
    Yvonne x