Cramps after TKR

bgould
bgould Member Posts: 10
edited 30. Apr 2017, 02:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,I had a TKR in a Dec. Recovery recovering well, golf 3 times a week, no painkillers, knee bend improving slowly, overall quite pleased with new knee.The only thing is that I get severe cramps in my feet, mainly my ankles, and toes when flexing or exercising my ankles, or clenching my toes.Has anyone had the same problem, is it something I should be concerned about.Is it caused by poor circulation since the operation?Barry.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've never had this with any of my TKRs. I'd suspect the golf. Yes, it may well be OK to resume it after 3 months but three times per week? Especially if that's 18 holes per time. There is a great deal of inner healing to take place long after the outer scar has healed. Please ask the medics to be sure but, in the interim, try a little less golf for a while (and, being married to a golfer, I know that's a big ask :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Hi Barry, I get a lot of cramp in my feet, and I just can't remember if I had it before my TKRs in July 2012, or if it started then! I'm no expert, and I don't want to argue with sticky, but I would think that if your knees aren't hurting then you're not doing too much exercise. Everyone is different in terms of rate of healing; I got told I was doing too much in the early days, but looking back, I don't think I was. But I could be wrong about all of this! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I drink tonic water, which is supposed to prevent cramp, and it does seem to help.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I drink tonic water, which is supposed to prevent cramp, and it does seem to help.

I think (though I'm by no means sure) that not all tonic water contains quinine these days and that's the ingredient which supposedly helps. Might be worth checking before buying.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    Hi i too suffer with real bad leg cramps and i haven't had anything replaced yet!! And why do they always happen at night when I've just got into a deep sleep - so unfair.
    I find calcium and magnesium supplements, drinking plenty of dilute squash eating bananas helps. I do also throw some tonic water in there when things get bad. I do find mine is worse if i have been busy so it could well be the golf I'm sorry to say. Maybe its a bit early for 3 times a week on the long golf course. I'm no medic so would check with your gp before taking a supplement.

Wobbly xx