Cramps after TKR

bgould
bgould Member Posts: 10
edited 30. Apr 2017, 02:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,I had a TKR in a Dec. Recovery recovering well, golf 3 times a week, no painkillers, knee bend improving slowly, overall quite pleased with new knee.The only thing is that I get severe cramps in my feet, mainly my ankles, and toes when flexing or exercising my ankles, or clenching my toes.Has anyone had the same problem, is it something I should be concerned about.Is it caused by poor circulation since the operation?Barry.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,102
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've never had this with any of my TKRs. I'd suspect the golf. Yes, it may well be OK to resume it after 3 months but three times per week? Especially if that's 18 holes per time. There is a great deal of inner healing to take place long after the outer scar has healed. Please ask the medics to be sure but, in the interim, try a little less golf for a while (and, being married to a golfer, I know that's a big ask :wink: )
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Hi Barry, I get a lot of cramp in my feet, and I just can't remember if I had it before my TKRs in July 2012, or if it started then! I'm no expert, and I don't want to argue with sticky, but I would think that if your knees aren't hurting then you're not doing too much exercise. Everyone is different in terms of rate of healing; I got told I was doing too much in the early days, but looking back, I don't think I was. But I could be wrong about all of this! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I drink tonic water, which is supposed to prevent cramp, and it does seem to help.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,102
    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I drink tonic water, which is supposed to prevent cramp, and it does seem to help.

I think (though I'm by no means sure) that not all tonic water contains quinine these days and that's the ingredient which supposedly helps. Might be worth checking before buying.
  • Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    Hi i too suffer with real bad leg cramps and i haven't had anything replaced yet!! And why do they always happen at night when I've just got into a deep sleep - so unfair.
    I find calcium and magnesium supplements, drinking plenty of dilute squash eating bananas helps. I do also throw some tonic water in there when things get bad. I do find mine is worse if i have been busy so it could well be the golf I'm sorry to say. Maybe its a bit early for 3 times a week on the long golf course. I'm no medic so would check with your gp before taking a supplement.

Wobbly xx

Who's Online

Anna
Anna
Burt50
Burt50
+9 Guests