Struggling to get sleep

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 4. May 2017, 09:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Things are not so good right now, Im not really getting a good nights sleep. My knee refuses to settle down at anytime of the day (its a constant distraction), and as a result my sleep right now is non existant, its making my life miserable to the point its affecting my work.

I really don't know what to do right now.
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Lack of sleep is the worst, wish I had some practical advice to offer, all I can is I hope you manage to get some soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Losing sleep always makes everything seem so much worse doesn't it? I wonder whether a chat with your GP may be in order? I was in a similar position a year or so ago and my GP prescribed a pain patch which slow releases medication over 24 hours, I change it once a week and it's made a huge difference to my ability to cope with things in general.....I have to admit I took a while to get to grips with needing it, but eventually after a particularly bad few weeks gave in and now wish I'd done so sooner. Living with constant pain is demoralising and hard to admit to. My son is a doctor and he repeatedly tells me to stay on top of the pain relief, not waiting until I'm desperate before I give in and take it, and that way it's more effective.....so perhaps taking regular paracetemol for a few days could help you...or a chat with the local pharmacist who may be able to advise if you don't want to go to the GP?

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Getting a good night's sleep is always a challenge. I take pain relief around half an hour before I settle down so that is beginning to take off an edge or two when I turn out the light. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Should of explained, im already on morphine patches, and it's not the paim that disturbs my sleep. It's the fact my knee is active during the night (hard to describe, but im sure most here know what i'm talking about).
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've never had this with either of my knees either before or after the TKRs. I've also never had morphine patches. Might there be a connection? Might it be worth checking with your GP?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    TBH a little background on your current situation would have helped; believe me you are not the only one who is struggling.

I am aware that the stronger opoids can, for some, interfere with their sense of reality. I appreciate this is very hard for you: your pain is localised and ergo much harder to live with: no wonder you are trying everything to make things better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Being on high dose steriods for a long time approx 6 years, I got very used to little sleep. It is worrying at first but you do get used to it.

I figure if my body needs it, it would get it. You only need a limited amount of deep sleep to be able to function,however it is always good to get 'normal' levels of sleep.

I developed many tactics to deal with it.
    A set bed-time and routine
    A warm glass of milk, but they say a banana is better
    Carbs in your evening meal, don't eat too late, cut down the protein
    Don't read or do anything just turn off the light to sleep.

If I wake up and cant fall asleep within an hour, or feel really wide-awake I get up, out of bed and go and make a cup of tea and read a magazine, i.e. physical activity and something to distract mentally for up to 1 hour. I then go back to sleep and invariably fall asleep.

I have spent many hours at night doing odd jobs and things that help while away the time.

My husband gets his tablet out and surfs the net for say an hour or half an hour and then finds he falls asleep.

The question is - is it mental or physical, am I awake because I have not done enough physical activity or because I am thinking or worrying about something and then tackling that.

Exercise every day also helps sleep patterns. Days I exercise I always sleep better.

I was waking up with pain in my elbow every night till I bought an electric blanket and the lowest setting on that overnight has taken care of that pain and I sleep well, and generally I am sleeping much better with the blanket, I think that gentle heat works like magic in soothing my body and helping me stay relaxed and sleep.

I don't know if any of this will help you however, but good luck.