Sulfasalazine and headaches

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 7. May 2017, 05:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ive been taking sulfasalazine for 3 months now and initially I was getting frequent headaches but for the last 3 weeks they have been constant. I wake with a mild headache which gets progressively worse as the day progresses. The only thing that helps is codeine which I clearly can't take every day. Will the headaches go in time or are they permanent? Am really struggling with them now.

Comments

• Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach,

I was started on sulfasalazine a couple of years ago and I had to stop after a week or so because the headaches were too much. But I also came pit in rashes on my stomach and heat so it was maybe more of an allergy. You could maybe speak to your doctor to see about getting migraine tablets if they don't interact with the sulfasalazine? That might help?

Hope you get them sorted soon x
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Thanks Natalie. I'll contact my doctor this week. Have spent the whole day in bed today and my head has finally cleared. Can't do that on a work day tho!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Headaches are one of the listed side-effects of sulph, my body chose the multiple bruising option instead - they faded after six weeks or so but to this day I still bruise very easily despite stopping the sulph some time last year.

I've had a constant headache for a week or so now but I reckon that's down to very tense shoulders; my pain levels are somewhat elevated at the moment thanks to stress. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben