Hip replacement

Juliew
Juliew Member Posts: 58
edited 30. May 2017, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had a hip replacement and did you have the epidural or general anaesthetic?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I have had 2. One was with a general, then the second with an epidural and sedation. I didn`t know anything about it either time
    NB
  • Juliew
    Hi
    I have had 2. One was with a general, then the second with an epidural and sedation. I didn`t know anything about it either time
    NB
    How did you feel after each one? Cos my consultant said I'll have more pain after with the general than with the epidural

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've had both. I can't remember whether the epidural was for a hip or a knee but I don't remember any huge difference in pain. It hurts, end of :lol:

Personally, Julie, I'd go with whatever the surgeon is most comfortable with but I do hope you have a really good hip joint afterwards :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Juliew
    He's told me the pros and cons of both but it's my decision

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This is a booklet put out by the Association of Anaesthetists on the subject.

If I ever have another THR or TKR I'll almost certainly have to have a spinal as my throat's too problematic for the anaesthetist's tube. That won't worry me. There are pros and cons with both. Just concentrate on the pros - and the exercises :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AliB
    AliB Member Posts: 41
    I have a hip replacement due in June and went to a seminar at the hospital for hip patients...very good explained everything from the moment you get it hospital to three months down the lane..even explaining how the surgeon dislocates your hip to get to it!! I was keen on having general but where we are they prefer you to have n epidural so shall go down that way providing I am sedated...don't want to hear what's going on !!
  • Juliew
    AliB wrote:
    I have a hip replacement due in June and went to a seminar at the hospital for hip patients...very good explained everything from the moment you get it hospital to three months down the lane..even explaining how the surgeon dislocates your hip to get to it!! I was keen on having general but where we are they prefer you to have n epidural so shall go down that way providing I am sedated...don't want to hear what's going on !!
    That's the same with me I wouldn't want to know what's going on. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to find out if my op will be funded my BMI is over 30 which could go against me. Hope all goes well with your op

• AliB
    Thanks Julie it can't come quick enough for me...I need both doing so am hoping they will put me back onto the waiting list after my 6 week check up...hope you get yours.
  • Juliew
    AliB wrote:
    Thanks Julie it can't come quick enough for me...I need both doing so am hoping they will put me back onto the waiting list after my 6 week check up...hope you get yours.
    Bet it can't. They've approved the funding just waiting for a date. Consultant told me 2 weeks ago the op will be in 4-6 weeks time, this waiting around is so frustrating

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Juliew
    so glad that you have got the funding and hopefully it won't be too long before you get a date, let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask us as many questions as you like, that is what we are here for
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Juliew
    Thank you. I've written down a list of questions to ask at the pre op, then I get concerned that the questions I'm asking are silly questions. I just want the op done and be able to have a pain free existence and to do things I haven't been able to do for many years

• [Deleted User]
    Hi Juliew
    there really is no such thing as a silly question and most surgeons are very willing to make sure you have the time to get all the information you need. They have certainly proved that those people who are well informed pre op do better post op so be sure to ask away.

As regards having you hip done under general or under epidural, I have had both and I would recommend the epidural, I did not see or hear anything during the surgery but my recovery was quicker after the epidural as I didn't feel so groggy afterwards and they will want to get you up and about soon after your surgery.

Keep in touch
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Juliew
    Hi Sharon
    I take it they give you a sedative when you have an epidural?

• [Deleted User]
    Hi Julie
    yes indeed they do, I didn't know anything was happening until it was over and that was just with sedation
    Sharon
  • Juliew
    Got a date for my op today 7th of June, seems to be happening so fast

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I've had 2 THR's and had a spinal block both times
    As far as hearing things are concerned, a lot of people ask this.
    As well as the spinal block you get a light sedative
    Both times I've heard people talking in the background, didn't know what they were saying, You come round much quicker than you do from a GA
    Anytime I would opt for a spinal over a GA.
    In fact I've just had a full shoulder replacement and was most disappointed that I couldn't have a spinal block :lol::lol::lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Juliew
    Someone said I have to inform the dvla and my insurance company about my op is this true?

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I've not heard that so I haven't informed them :oops:
    Not deliberately!!!!!!!
    Check with others.....Loads of people have had hip replacements on the forum
    Let me know if you find out
    Love
    Hileena
  • AliB
    Juliew wrote:

Wow Julie that was quick....is that with NHS ?...I had my pre op back in April and my op date is just within the 12 weeks from that ! Will be bending your ear as to how you are getting on ! :)
  • Juliew
    AliB wrote:
    Juliew wrote:

Wow Julie that was quick....is that with NHS ?...I had my pre op back in April and my op date is just within the 12 weeks from that ! Will be bending your ear as to how you are getting on ! :)
    It's at a private hospital and the NHS are funding it

• Juliew
    How long did your pre op last for? What tests were carried out? Any specific questions I should ask
    Haven't had an op in my adult life

• AliB
    They just did an E C G , measured height , weight, took blood pressure and just asked various health questions really...gave me little pot to wee in 2 weeks before op and instructions for blood test two days before ( so they know your blood group).
  • Juliew
    AliB wrote:
    They just did an E C G , measured height , weight, took blood pressure and just asked various health questions really...gave me little pot to wee in 2 weeks before op and instructions for blood test two days before ( so they know your blood group).
    I've only got just over a week before my op hopefully will have my pre op this week

• AliB
    Shall watch your progress with interest Julie !