Early arthritis

Options
Clay116
Clay116 Member Posts: 2
edited 10. May 2017, 14:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm new to this I'm male 38 years old
I've been doing weight lifting for 15 years but last couple of years I've been getting pain in my right hand and thumb basically I've just got on with it as u do 😊😊😊 recently pains been getting worse so went to docs had a mri scan and been told I've got arthritis in my thumb and wrist bit early doc said for my age but that's life
Just wanted to know how things will be in like 20 years will they get to the point where I can't do anything with my hand

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Clay 116, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about thumb and wrist. The worst thing to hear I imagine for someone who likes to do weight lifting. You don’t say which type of arthritis you have been diagnosed with.

Initially it can feel a little as though we have to just put up with pain, but there are things which can be done to help such as physiotherapy and talking to others in the same boat is definitely one of them. Ultimately surgery may well be an option for you. Many people on here have had hand, thumb and wrist surgery.

If you haven’t read it already this link might be useful, it includes information about how to manage your joints well.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/managing-pain

As moderators we are here to help with any issues you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. You don't specify what kind of arthritis is nibbling at you but, given your history of lifting weights, I suspect the most likely culprit is osteo arthritis, the most common form of the disease. It is sometimes defined as being caused by 'wear and tear' and you certainly have been wearing your joints.

A few find some benefit in soaking their hands in warm water, laced with Epsom salts, this can ease the aching etc. on a temporary basis. GPs are the ones who deal with OA and they employ pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory medication. Anti-inflam creams such as Voltarol can help too and can be bought over the counter but should not be used in conjunction with anti-inflam tablet medication. Physiotherapy is another option, exercise is important to help keep the muscles surrounding the joint as strong and flexible as possible but once damage is done it cannot be undone.

I am now twenty years in and very thankful I had no idea what was awaiting me when I began back in 1997 - believe you me, it's better not to know. I have two kinds, I began with one affected joint and now it's all over the shop, some with one, some with the other and others with both: a barrel of laughs it is not. :lol:

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    As far as I know osteoarthritis is completely unpredictable. It may get worse very quickly, or may never get any worse than it is now, or anything in between. The fact that you have it in one joint does not mean that you'll get it in others, though you may. I'm not sure whether doing more weight lifting is likely to make it worse or not, and this might be worth asking the experts about.

To give you one person's example, I had arthritis in my knees for about 15 years, then had two knee replacements, which worked well. My other joints were all fine for ages, but now some of them ache quite a a lot, especially my shoulders. But I'm nearly 69, and osteoarthritis is basically wear and tear, so that's probably to be expected.

if I were you I'd take painkillers if you need to, maybe see a physio and get some advice about what exercise is good and what isn't, and then get on with life, and try not to worry too much about the future. Take care!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm with Helenbothknees. No-one can predict the future but a physio's advice would be good. We can both overdo and underdo exercise.

Just to reassure you a little. My OA arose as a result of my RA. The latter started in my hands in 1961 when I was 15. There has been a lot of pain over the years but my hands are far from useless. Good luck with it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright