VISIT TO CONSULTANT

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 19. May 2017, 19:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
SORRY THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN SOONER BUT IT HAS BEEN BUSY HERE.
AS YOU SEE THEY DIDNT KEEP ME IN :lol::lol:
I'VE TRIED TO DO THIS POST BEFORE AND IT DISAPPEARED :shock:
GOOD NEWS AND NOT SUCH GOOD NEWS :?

GOOD NEWS IS HE IS HAPPY WITH THE WOUND, THE STAPLES [24] CAME OUT,HE WANTS ME BACK IN 4 WEEKS...I EXPECTED THAT......6 WEEKS POST OP. THE SLING WILL COME OFF

NOT SUCH GOOD NEWS.....I ASKED WHEN I COULD USED MY RIGHT CRUTCH.....OH NOT FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS!!!!!!! :o
got to admit that I was shocked at that.....
BUT I SUPPOSE I'LL JUST HAVE TO DO AS HE SAYS OTHERWISE IT MIGHT NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH
SO THATS IT
LOVE
HILEENA

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am surprised that you were surprised that you cannot use the right crutch for three months - you expect a lot from your battered and poorly body, don't you? :wink: The stress and strain we can place on our joints when using aids is not to be underestimated, be we seated on a scooter, using a rollator or sticks. It is natural to hunch our shoulders with the latter two (we shouldn't but we do) and with the first item we forget the twisting and stretching involved in getting on, off, starting, steering and reversing - and then factor in the uneven ride. We might think we're not doing anything daft but our bodies think (and know) differently.

He has given you good advice about the shoulder, when I broke my upper left humerus I was able to use the right crutch but not both for over twelve weeks. Neither did I use my rollator because I didn't go out apart from to the hospital and Mr DD wheeled me in. I was also good about doing my exercises (and still do them but not as often as I could). My reward was a clean heal and a pretty good ROM so make that your goal - I hope you achieve it! Worthwhile things do take time but it's time well spent. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    OK CLEVER CLOGS :lol::lol::lol:
    SO I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC RATHER THAN PESSIMISTIC :wink:
    HE IS RIGHT AND I WILL BE GOOD
    I ASKED ABOUT DO'S AND DONT'S. WE ALWAYS GET A LIST OF THINGS WHEN WE HAVE A THR OR TKR'S BUT NOT WITH A SHOULDER.
    HE SAID YOU CAN DO ANYTHING EXCEPT PUT WEIGHT ON IT. TRY WHAT YOU LIKE AND THE GOOD THING IS IF YOU CANT DO IT WELL YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT BUT YOU CAN KEEP TRYING AND BIT BY BIT YOU WILL GET A LITTLE BIT FURTHER EACH TIME. PROBABLY WONT HAVE A FULL ROM BUT YOU CAN TRY.

SCOOTER IS OK, WALKING WITH MY LEFT CRUTCH IS OK [ALTHOUGH AT THE MOMENT I CANT WALK VERY FAR] SO SCOOTER, GETTING OFF TO GO INTO A SHOP IS OK. I'M TOO FRIGHTENED TO GO INTO A SHOP IF ITS BUSY INCASE I GET KNOCKED DOWN.
    ROLLATOR IS OUT THE SAME AS THE CRUTCHES ARE.
    AS FOR STAYING IN....NO WAY.....I REFUSE TO BECOME A VEGETABLE
    I'VE HAD MY FIRST PHYSIO APPT TODAY. A LOT OF THEM ARE THE SAME AS THE ONES I HAD WHEN I HAD THE PLATE PINS AND SCREWS IN SO I'VE BEEN DOING THOSE. I'M ALSO DOING SOME EXERCISES FOR MY KNEE REPLACEMENT...NOT AS MANY AS I FIRST WAS BUT JUST TO KEEP THINGS MOVING.
    SO I'LL START THE SHOULDER ONES TOMORROW
    LOVE
    HILEENA
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad to hear it was a largely positive appointment.

Keep on enjoying those trips out......having something positive to look forward to makes all the difference.

Deb x
  • hileena111
    Options
    THANKS DEB
    WE ARE GOING TO THE LAKE DISTRICT FROM TUES UNTIL FRI.......THE END OF THIS MONTH
    PETER ORGANISED IT....DIDNT ASK......HE SAID I NEEDED SOMETHING TO LOOOK FORWARD TO :lol:
    LOVE
    HILEENA
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm very pleased that all is well. That's the main thing at this stage. That and the fact that the exercises are going well. I'm sure your surgeon is right. The idea of putting the new shoulder under the pressure of a crutch is surely not optimism but fantasy?

I well recall DD's broken shoulder. Fortunately she did not turn into a vegetable. I think it would take a bit more than being confined to barracks for 3 months. I hope your recovery is every bit as successful as hers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I can understand your disappointment but know you will be sensible.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    HI
    OH I WILL BE SENSIBLE
    IT JUSTCAME AS A SHOCK.......HAVING TO BE TOLD 3 MONTHS.... EVERYTHING ELSE LIKE.THRS/ TKR BROKEN ANKLE ETC HAS ALWAY BEEN 6 WEEKS SO I JUST HADNT THOUGHT ABOUT IT.
    HE IS RIGHT NO DOUBT ABOUT IT
    BUT I STILL WONT STAY IN, JUST GO OUT AND BE SENSIBLE, LISTEN TO MY BODY :lol:
    LOVE
    HILEENA
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    (With thanks to The Fast Show)

Today I will mostly be being a parsnip. 8)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Eileen
    I think we are all so very different..no you cant use the crutch ..but time will pass and you will be up and walking again with them both
    Has for getting out and about it will keep you sane..and you feel like you have achieved something..like you say you know your own body ..enjoy your coffees and chats..and I hope the shoulder gets stronger soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? I hope your frustration levels are not too high; I was also wondering how the knee and the greater trochanter stuff is going . . . . DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    HI
    I'VE ACCEPTED THAT HE IS RIGHT ABOUT THE RIGHT HAND CRUTCH. LIKE I SAID IT CAME AS A SURPRISE :o
    THE KNEE IS OK BUT THE GREATER TROCHANTER BONE IS PLAYING UP
    BEEN VERY SORE FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS.
    THE KNEE IS OK BECAUSE OF DISTRACTION....PAIN IN OTHER PLACES
    DISTRACTION IS NOT WORKING AS WELL FOR THE TROCHANTER :lol:
    LOVE
    HILEENA
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There's no doubt about it, you've got your hands full (as it were) coping with these different areas, just one at a time is enough. The deeper healing is the time-consuming element, things may well look OK on the surface but under everything remains delicate and friable for much longer. It's not easy :( but the time will pass and things will get better. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Just dropping by to see how things are progressing. Hope you can see at least small improvements as time goes by.

I'll be awol next week as hubby and I are off to the Fjords.....to say I'm excited is an understatement :D , it's our first cruise, no chores for a week, lots of beautiful scenery....I have high hopes it will be amazing! Enjoy your forthcoming holiday, take good care not to overdo things.

Deb xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Been AWOL sorry due to a holiday.

3 months it is and Lucy's main restriction was not to swing arm out behind you - like in the carry on film? "I must, I must I must improve my...." Seriously we have been told that could dislocate the new shoulder.

The muscles need to be strengthened to hold it safely in place. I think it's the pecs :? Arm up and down and to the side (like star jumps) were ok.

Lucy is now doing most things as normal, but I still try to make sure she takes her weight either on left arm or both, not the right on it's own.

You'll get there I know you will.

With the support of the lovely Peter, daughter and your many friends :D

Love and (())

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    everyone
    Still plodding on. Still very sore but I keep telling myself everything has a beginning, a middle and an end. Eventually it will go. I have an appointment 6th June, to see him. [I think]

We are going to the Lake District next Tuesday
    I will keep my eyes on that, then when we come home [Fri] I have an appt. with him the next Monday I will think about that

Before anyone says it.......I will be good when I'm away :lol:
    love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    No climbing Scafell Pike!!

A change of scenery will do you both good :)

Rest up and relax :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    The mind boggles Toni :lol::lol::lol:

love
    hileena
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I hope you have a lovely time, sure it will do you good
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Enjoy your mini break. I hope the weather is good and enjoy people watching, eating ice creams and the coffee shops. :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.