Really suffering right now

TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 13. May 2017, 05:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
So, I'm going through a really bad flare up right now, and the break through pain has never been this bad before (I was in tears this morning, it was that bad). I have had flare ups before, but never this bad, as my knee still does not feel settled and I'm fiding it hard to cope right now.

I've had to take co-codamol in addition to the morphine patches im currently on, and im taking an extra day off work (don't care what they say, my wellbeing is more important right now)

Is there anything else I can do, apart from rest/ice pack to help alleviate this flare up?

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Alastair,

Sorry your going through this. I'm currently going through a flare too and just got signed off work for 2 weeks. Due to get a steroid injection today so hopefully that will help and calm things down. You could maybe see about getting one of them? Other than that I think just plenty of rest but also getting up and moving about every now and then helps as stops the joints from completely stiffening up. You just have to find the fine line between being active and resting. I hope you get better soon.

Natalie x
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Hi Alastair,

Sorry your going through this. I'm currently going through a flare too and just got signed off work for 2 weeks. Due to get a steroid injection today so hopefully that will help and calm things down. You could maybe see about getting one of them? Other than that I think just plenty of rest but also getting up and moving about every now and then helps as stops the joints from completely stiffening up. You just have to find the fine line between being active and resting. I hope you get better soon.

Natalie x

I've had a steroid injection last August and it laster 4 glorious months before wearing off. Trouble is, they are a fickle thing and if I was to have another, it may not last as long.

I know about rest/movement, just I've not had a flare up this bad, and they seem to be occuring more often.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Sorry you're struggling, maybe that steroid is worth a try-even 3 or 4 months of relief is worthwhile surely. I've had mixed results, some work gloriously well for several months but others only a few weeks. Have you chatted very honestly with your GP-there may be a different short term med worth trying, or increasing the strength of your pain patch?

Maybe your GP could give you a sicknote for a while to give you chance to rest the kness?

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Rest is the best answer - steroids are fickle and, as you have discovered, only offer temporary relief. If over-used they bring their own troubles to the party as do many of the drugs we take to make our lives easier. It must be very hard for you as the pain is so localised plus you are working - have you been overdoing things without realising it? (Believe me, that's easily done.) Arthritis is cruel, it demands much and gives nothing in return. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks for all your support, really keeps me going through the tough times.

Dibbab - I'm going back to the pain clinic on 6th June and will be asking about increasing my morphine patches (i'm on 5ug/hr currently), I did speak to my GP last last month about increasing, but advised not to, as it lessens the day to day pain, not to mention the drowsiness.

Dreamdaisy - I work in an office, and my OH report advised for me to take regular micro-breaks (as in get up and walk a bit), but lately I've had less opportunity as the focus at my work is to increase our productivity. As a result, my knee aches all the time at work and when I get home, so this could of bought on this latest flare up.

I would like to get a sick note from my GP, but due to my work having a sickness trigger (which I have gone way past, depsite OH making them extend the trigger), I have been warned twice about a possible disciplinary. I know am portected by my union, but its extra worry I do not need.

Alastair
  • dreamdaisy
    I cannot remember now when my knees didn't hurt (although that was the case and for more years than I've had arthritis). Pain is my constant companion and has been since 1997. Yes, it fluctuates in its levels but it's always there, thrumming away in the background. I find it best to ignore it but I've had years of practise to hone that technique.

These are not easy times for you, Alistair, I do empathise - riding the arthritis rollercoaster is not easy or fun. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time at the moment, all I can say rest, try to relax, easier said than done I know, and I hope things ease for you soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things today? I hope you are feeling a little better in yourself. DD
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Well, I may have just made things worse today. I was in my kitchen and turned to get something off the worktop and without knowing it twisted my knee.

By all the gods it hurt like buggery!! I really turned the air blue, but also saw stars and felt really dizzy. Needless to say I sat down and srtuck my ice pack on my knee.

I'm hoping I have not done any serious damage (well more damage), but right now my knee is back to feeling red hot and swollen. Work is not going to like this, but i'm going to need another day off work....
  • dreamdaisy
    I managed to do the same to my right knee yesterday in getting off and walking round the sofa without properly concentrating on what I was doing - it's not nice when it happens but things will settle. I've learned, as the years have gone, on that I have to focus on how I'm moving, gone are the days of idle strolling and taking in the views, I've even walked past friends because I haven't seen them as I study the ground ahead for lumps and bumps to send me flying! DD
  • TheLordFlasheart
    I went to A&E to get my knee checked out (more for piece of mind), and fortunatly I have not done any serious damage (well more damage).

I'm normally so careful, but as I have found out, it only takes one lapse in concentration for this to happen.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    I do hope that you get some relief very soon, its so wearing ..has for the patches I am on them and the relief is not has good 2 years on..so hopefully you can hold off not easy I know..are you down for a TKR..sorry I did read your post but my brain is mush at the min
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    I'm not down for a TKR Barbara, but when I next go to the pain clininc, I'm going to discuss having an arthroscopy.

Right now im on the co-codamol and keeping my knee rasied with an ice pack.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi again
    My OH had an arthroscopy around 6 years ago now and his knee has been really good, touch wood..they shaved a little bone off and washed it out..saying this there are new guidelines ..it was in the Mail I think, apparently they are not working has well as they thought, so you have a read..I honestly think it depends on the state of the knee
    Love
    Barbara