Trapeziectomy

Options
Bessie
Bessie Member Posts: 4
Hi I had a right trapeziectomy 18 months ago. I can only now say that I think it was beneficial. I've had huge problems with the tendon which according to the scan measures 4cms whereas it measures 2cms in my unoperated left hand. My hand remains stiff and I continue to get pain up the arm through the tendon but there is reduced pain in the thumb joint now, which is good. The surgeon does not know why I have this tendon issue and he says he can't promise it won't happen again when I have the left hand done. Therefore shall I avoid having the second hand done especially as the recovery time is so long? I've also developed a Dupuytrene contracture since the surgery, is this a normal side effect. I'm able to now lift the normal weights at the gym and garden etc but my un operated hand remains stronger in spite of being quite twisted and crooked with the osteoarthritis and the grips still uncomfortable when I'm cycling. Shall I go ahead with the second hand do you think?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bessie,

Thank you for posting on the Helplines forum. I’m glad you feel that the trapeziectomy has been of benefit, although it sounds as if you are still experiencing some stiffness and pain in addition to the tendon issue you mentioned.

I’m wondering whether you saw a physiotherapist or hand therapist after your surgery for advice about exercises and splints? If not, it may be worth talking to your doctor about a referral.

Just to clarify, we are not medically trained on the helpline and don’t know enough about the details of your individual situation to advise whether, or not, to go ahead with the surgery on the other hand. You could discuss this further with your GP, hand therapist / physiotherapist or surgeon.

If you feel it would help to talk things through with one of our helplines team, you are very welcome to give us a call on our Freephone Helpline: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 9.30am - 5pm).

You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery.aspx

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Fiona, Helplines Team