Osteo arthritis

Options
Bessie
Bessie Member Posts: 4
edited 10. May 2017, 06:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I'm not sure how to use this Say Hello bit!
I'm new to this site and I'm 65 female with active OA. I'm very fit and go to the gym most days which sometimes hurts but I know it all helps. Some workouts are tough but I'm pleased to keep up with some half my age! Cycling is a bit of a pain for my thumb joints. I had a trapeziectomy 18 months ago and I'm now debating whether to have the other hand done. It's only now that I'm beginning to feel the benefits of the operation but my hand is definitely weaker which is frustrating! I've posted a question on the help site about my experience with the trapeziectomy and would welcome opinions. At the moment I'm 50/50 on whether to go ahead. Bessie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Bessie and welcome from me too.

I read your post and immediately thought of former threads as there seem to be a lot of trapeziectomies taking place currently. Mostly people come here, like you, feeling they should feel better more quickly. I've not had one myself but I do know, from my joint replacement ops, that inner healing takes much longer than the outer scar does.

Exercises are very important but it's easy to overdo things - too much too soon - so the weights might not be the best idea just yet though your consultant and physio are the experts on that. You might find the cycling easier with some sort of splint - wrist or thumb?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright