Post Hip Replacement Strength Work

Options
Mart042
Mart042 Member Posts: 13
edited 11. May 2017, 12:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Prior to my arthritis in my hips I used to dow a lot of powerlifting, predominantly heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. Those days are gone now and I am just wondering what leg training exercises are good for leg strength post operation and beyond.

PS I don't mean walking etc I'm more thinking about strength exercises such as leg extensions and leg curls etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Did you not get a physio referral post op?
    Ask at your local gym, just don't mention you have had a replacement, they get all precious. I will probably have a lot of people now screaming nooooooo! But as along as enough time has passed since op you will be fine and use common sense it is fine. Just no trying to tuck your legs behind your ears [emoji3]

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Mart042
    as dalek predicted here I am saying noooo :lol: It is important to be upfront with your gym, it would be worth consulting a physiotherapist especially one that is used to supporting people who do sports or better still weight lifting. This is not to say you shouldn't do strength work because actually it would be really good to do that. In the first year there are some restrictions on what you can do, the physio's in the hospital will be keen to support you so go for it.

Some area of the UK offer a self referral service to the NHS physiotherapy department, I would suggest this might be a great place to start. Keep us up to date with how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    As someone with two THRs (and two TKRs) I'm 100% with Sharon. How can they help you if you're not upfront? I joined a gym while waiting for my 2nd THR (I already had the other joint replacements) and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Go for it, and enjoy it, but do so with the help of people who can advise you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright