Confused

Nikkijamie
Nikkijamie Member Posts: 34
edited 13. May 2017, 12:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
I have been floating in and out of the forum for a couple of years and although I don't post it's so helpful to read your thoughts and comments so thank you for helping others.

However I find myself needing some of your thoughts so I hope you don't mind.

Around 6 years ago (I was 30) I was told by my GP I had osteoarthritis in my hips. I was gixen Naproxen for when the pain got worse and it hasn't helped at all. I was sent to a Rheumatologist and there was no sign thankfully.

Over the years my pain has increased and now my left wrist is weak and painful, both my thumbs hurt and I can't grip very well nor can I write more than 2-3 sentences without being in pain. My ankles feel weak and painful and one gave way the other month. My knees are knackered as are my hips and my back (I have scoliosis) is agony.

I have got to the point where it's no longer bearable so I went to the GP today (new one who is lovely, the other one retired) and explained what was going on.

He has told me I don't have osteoarthritis in my hip just wear and tear. He has arranged for a multitude of blood tests to see what going on and also check for an iron issue which is prevelant in my cousin.

He has prescribed me Prednisolone to trial once I've hand my blood tests to see if it helps with the pain.

I guess I'm wondering if this makes sense to any of you. I feel so confused having accepted the osteoarthritis diagnosis and now it's not and what is really going on.

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long.

Nikki

Comments

• Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nikki
    Sorry to hear of your suffering. I too have oa hips spine neck feet carpal tunnel both arms bla bla bla .
    Now i am no medical person but i am under the belief that wear and tear and osteo and degenerative joint disease are all the same thing - I am hoping someone will read this and jump in and correct me if this belief is wrong.
    I've not bin on the prednisone - yet so i cant comment. I take naproxen codiene paracetamol gabapentin and lansaprazole - coz of the long term anti inflamitories.
    This concoction helps me - ish. I am still in work and at 47 classed as relatively young for the amount of oa i have - it's one of the very few things im too young for ha ha along with saga holudays n insurance.
    Maybe you cud ask for some xrays or an mri this wud help your gp to give u a proper diagnosis and get the meds right wat ever u do dont give up just keep going back to your gp its taken me abt 16 mths to get a proper diagnois - thete was a fair bit of trial and error. Try not to push yourself too hard rest wen u need to accept help. You cud also try the beanies u warm up in the microwave heat and use on your sore bits every 3 hours or as often as you can.
    Hoping you get a speedy diagnosis

Wobbly xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    OA and wear-and-tear are one and the same thing. OA is the most common form of arthritis and is affecting younger and younger people. It falls under the remit of the GP and is treated with pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication (such as naproxen) and a referral to physiotherapy can be useful as one is taught a range of exercises to aid the muscles surrounding the affected joint/s to stay as strong and flexible as possible. I have tried three anti-inflammatories, Celebrex (which was excellent but my GP could not afford the cost of the prescription, changing me to naproxen which was useless) and I now have some diclofenac for emergency use. I occasionally use Voltarol cream (same dog, different piece of string) if my OA is playing up but never the two together as they both contain the same active ingredient. I have OA as a result of my auto-immune arthritis, my GP ignores that and my rheumatologist the OA.

People say that OA spreads and, logically, it does: once one joint is thrown out of kilter we naturally alter the way we stand and move, thus putting other joints under some degree of stress. The scoliosis may be the root of your current troubles but I am not a doc.

Heat can be beneficial to aching joints, as is rest and not overdoing things. I keep my pain relief to the minimum, thus enabling me to gauge the feedback from my joints so I know when to stop and have a breather.

If you haven't tried any other med apart from Naproxen then that may be worth a go, as is asking for a referral to physio. Tablet steroids are little miracles, they help to relieve the symptoms of many conditions but they do not address the underlying problem (whatever it might be). They work by thinning all body tissues so are not a very good solution. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Nikkijamie
    Thank you both for your replies.

I do find heat very helpful and have a super hot bath every night so I can sleep. I also think the scoliosis which is caused by 1 leg shorter than the other is the probable route cause for my hips and lower joints.

I guess it's a differing opinion as the current GP says wear and tear is osteo in older patients but won't be osteo in me because of my age - seems contradictory to me what does age matter.

I hope the blood test reveal what's happening and can go from there but can't start the new pain meds until I have the blood tests and working full time means blood tests are impossible to get done!! I'll figure it out

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and thank you again for your help.

Nikki
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's worth bearing in mind that GPs know a little about a lot - it is a common fallacy (even amongst those who could know better) that arthritis is a disease that only affects the old: as we know arthritis has no respect for age and I agree with your sentiments. My first label was auto-immune inflammatory arthritis (because it was) but when PsA was eventually diagnosed only the label changed, the meds stayed the same. My OA was diagnosed by the GP via knowledge and the evidence of Xrays: have you had Xrays done?

My hospital path lab is open on Saturday mornings for blood tests but one has to book. It is a teaching hospital so I don't know if that makes a difference but they open at 7.30 every weekday morning and don't close until 17.45. I now book in at my GPs surgery but that side of life has become a deal easier since I was moved to bi-monthly bloods. Bloods may not be definitive, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Nikkijamie
    I had X-rays initially which is where the osteo diagnosis came from. I then had an MRI a few years later which said no problems!

I will let you know how I get on, I can only have bloods at hospital as have to have it out my hand, veins hide in my arms so frustrating.

Thank you x