Flare ups of osteoarthritis

Options
wendgro
wendgro Member Posts: 296
edited 22. May 2017, 08:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wrote a few weeks ago about a flare up and was resting and taking medication My question is do flare ups make the joints more prone to deterioration even when the flare up calms down a bit. My joints have not been the same since very painfull swollen I feel as though I have gone quite a few notches down in my mobility. It,s 10 years since I had my first hip done now I am in a lot of pain with it plus all the other joints I have had done this past 7 years any advice will help

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry things are still so rough for you, Wendgro. I really don't know the answer. As you might know, my OA came as a result of RA and I've never been 100% certain where one ends and the other begins. I do know that, after an RA flare, any damage done during it remains but I personally find that my OA gets bad when I've overdone things and improves with rest. I don't think it goes on to affect other joints unless I've ploughed on and, by protecting the bad one, compromised others.

If you are having pain where joints have been replaced I think maybe you should see your orthopaedic surgeon(s) or at least see what your GP says.

I hope this won't go on much longer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Flares are a bow steer reaction, its the bodies reaction to damage already done by activity, that said you can limit some of the damage by using Boron, the body sees it as Calcium so uses it for bone broth and repair, it makes tougher bone so helps stabilise the are of damage, it takes a few weeks to kick it, thats if it's going to work, I found it really good but some get no effect but most do it's also wise to take it for a month then have a few weeks off as it can inhibit the up take of other needed nutrients, I take 2x3mg per day, the results for me were very noticeable, one thing though if you do try it and it works don't go silly, try and keep your mobility as it is now otherwise you risk undoing the good it has brought.