Trapeziectomy

Options
Hilaryy
Hilaryy Member Posts: 4
edited 20. May 2017, 07:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm new here I'm going in for a trapeziectomy next week just wondered if anyone who's had one could tell me what to expect pain wise [emoji45] thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hilaryy,

Welcome to the forum, it's lovely to meet you. There are members who have had trapeziectomies themselves so if you have any specific concerns do post them now or if any pop up after your operation.

Here is a link to a previous thread on the same subject
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41608

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Hilaryy
    Options
    Thanks for that still learning how to get around

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome.

I've not had a trapeziectomy but one thing that I've learned in my time on here is that there seems to be a lot of variation in how quickly people recover. Don't worry about pain. You'll be given pain relief. Just listen carefully to advice from the surgeon and physio. And do come to us if you have any concerns. We can't diagnose or treat you but we can sympathise and empathise and maybe point you in the right direction for advice. I do hope all goes well
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hilaryy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice

• Devonia
    Devonia Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello
    I've just joined as I found this site whilst searching for more information about post trapeziectomy recovery, casts etc.
    I was diagnosed as needing this surgery in both hands last year but been putting it off & looking for alternatives as I teach musical instruments (piano & woodwind) plus I'm a keen crafter ( well I was before the arthritis really kicked in!).
    I've always been very hyoer mobile in fingers/thumbs so now paying the price.
    Now got to the conclusion that trapeziectomy is the only solution as both sides of the joint have lost their space & am quite limited in what I can/can't do.
    As I teach I've opted to have surgery on my non dominant hand first, the most badly affected, in July at the end of term so will be spending the Summer break getting over the op.
    Following this thread to see how you get on with your surgery which is due soon. Hilary I wish you well & look forward to seeing how you get on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning Devonia,

Welcome to the forum. I am seriously impressed with our members in that we have attracted 2 new users who will be having the same operation. I am so glad you have found each other and that it helps you plan and recover from the operation as smoothly as possible.

We have a thread on going to hospital
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18036

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hilaryy,

I've just noticed you will have had your operation now - I hope it went well. Looking forward to hearing about it when you are able to log on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Devonia
    Devonia Member Posts: 2
    Options
    [quote=moderator post_id=630627 time=1495275466 user_id=5482

We have a thread on going to hospital
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18036

Take care
    Yvonne x
    [/quote]

Hello Yvonne
    I'm not new to operations as had FAI surgery on both hips now (2012 and 2014) plus other surgeries - usually joint related!
    Trouble with having a few lax/hypermobile joints I suppose.

I will be interested to see how large the first cast/bandage is so I know what clothes to take with me to the hospital . Hopefully, Hillaryy will respond when she is feeling more with it :-)