Cant cope

Options
Lynn
Lynn Member Posts: 4
edited 22. May 2017, 06:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone I know I wont be the only one here but im really not coping with the pain iv been swapped tablets so many times nothing works im lying flat on my back most of the time even my arms and shoulder are so weak to even hold the phone...any sugestions xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Lynn,

Welcome, I'm sorry you are in pain and that it's not well controlled. Sometimes it can take up to 3 months for changes to become noticeable with new meds, depending which they are.

It can help to keep a note on your meds, when they start and how they affect your pain levels. If you stop any meds note that too and if there is a change.

I have kept a pain level diary too to find any link between meds and pain and activity and pain. These might help start a conversation with the team looking after you.

Here's a link to a booklet with ideas to help manage pain
    https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/515/ManagingPain_web_original.pdf?1472207221

Do let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Lynn and welcome from me too. I'm sorry things are so much of a struggle for you right now.

Could you tell us what kind of arthritis you have? Do you see a rheumatologist? And which medications you've tried?

If you're having to lie down most of the time of course all your muscles will be weak and that's not good as it makes the pain worse. Which joints are affected? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions but it's hard for us to help if we don't know what's involved. I have RA which has got to virtually all my joints though some have been replaced, some have fused and also my backs pretty good.

There are very bad times for us all but, with help, we can usually get back to what one of our members describes as 'moderately grotty'. I hope things will improve for you with help.

P.S. Just a little tip. I'm pretty useless with mobile phones as they all seem to be the wrong shape, size and weight for my hands but, with the landline, I can either put it on speaker or hold it with my right hand to my left ear. This puts less strain on the shoulder and elbow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MissKat
    MissKat Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Hello Lyn,

So sorry you are in such pain, I was right where you are a few weeks ago and the lovely forum members helped me through it. It's a great place for support here.

Can you get to your GP to get some prescribed pain killers? On my last visit I got some great ones which sorted me out until my meds started to kick in.

We are right there with you & know what you're going through. Hot baths helped me for a while - have you tried that? Or do cold packs help you more? Try everything (!) - that's what I did!

Hope things ease up for you soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Lynn if the pain isn't being stopped by normal pain med's it's most probably neuropathic in origin, I was in a real state a few years ago until I tried Prozac, I've been neuropathic pain flare free for 3 years now thanks to it. Here's a link about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/pain-medications/art-20045647