Spinal nerve cauterisation

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 19. May 2017, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I've been to see the pain management guy today who after injecting into my sac hip joints last year to only 6 weeks of relief has now decided to cauterise my nerves at either side of my lower spine into my sac joints to hopefully increase my quality of life.

Has anyone had this done ?

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I've been to see the pain management guy today who after injecting into my sac hip joints last year to only 6 weeks of relief has now decided to cauterise my nerves at either side of my lower spine into my sac joints to hopefully increase my quality of life.

Has anyone had this done ?

Thanks in advance x

Hi lynnemarie1123, my name is Emma & im one of the moderators. I was signposted to your post & wanted to let you know my story.

4-years ago I had an accident involving my hip. I have some osteoarthritis in my hip due to have Congenital Dislocated Hips at birth but the pain I was going through after the accident meant I ended up in a wheelchair. I went through many consultants who said the pain was in my head, until I met the right pain consultant.

He said the pain is due to a nerve called Meralgia Parathetica (MP) & it runs from your back into your hip and down the top side of the relevant leg. The nerve can get stuck in a crevice and this causes the excruciating pain that it does.

He performed an op where he put a needle into the actual nerve and pumped it with anaesthetic. This pulled the nerve back out of the crevice & stopped my pain for 6-months, which was great. I've just had another one and do not mind having it every 6-months if the pain subsides for that long.

So back to your question, yes, I did have the injections you've had initially but they didn't help at all.

I have degenerative disc disease in my spine and my pain consultant has burnt the nerve endings in the whole of my spine to ease the pain. I've had 5 ops so far. In my experience, my pain in my back is not causing the pain in my hip as they are two separate issues. My pain consultant also said they are not related as it's a specific nerve (MP) and then separate damage to my spine.

I waited 3-years before I got to the right person and I sincerely hope this does not happen to you. I hope this post helps even if it's just to say you are not alone.

Please let us know of any progress.

Best wishes,

Emma
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Lynnemarie..I hope you can get some relief very soon, I have had both hips replaced and am glad I had them done ,but yes there is one..they think most of the pain was form my sacro joint..so this is very interesting to me..
    Emma thanks so much for all the info..boy you have gone through it , I am so glad to hear the injections worked for you..I have taken notes and will mention this at my next pain appointment..thankyou again..
    Love
    Barbara
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi Emma.

I'm sorry you have been through the mill.

I'm hoping that this procedure will be the miracle for me... or at least give me a pain holiday.

I am concerned about the pain that this procedure is going to cause :lol::cry:

I will keep you informed as to how it goes xx

Lynne xx