Feeling frustrated.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. May 2017, 04:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Things have been deteriorating in my knees for some months but it's only now that I am acknowledging the fact. I know from experience that, once I am used to certain levels of difficulty, I don't always recognise when things are exceeding reasonable but there's no doubt they are. When I saw a rheumatology nurse earlier this year and asked for a referral she told me a GP would refer me to orthopaedics so yesterday I saw one and learned the following.

He cannot refer me, I have to visit Xray (he gave me the form), self-refer to physio and undertake six to eight weeks of exercises which (he assured me) will help matters (bless the child, he was at least thirty years younger than me) and then - and only then - they might refer me to orthopaedics if they feel there is a need. He asked me if I had had a knee replacement and I said no, because I haven't. When he checked my knees he spotted the scar on my left and said 'Oh but you have!' probably instantly classing me in the BOB (Batty Old Bird) category so beloved of medicos. I explained that it was my synovectomy scar.

I know I am bone-on-bone, I know I have bone growths, I know this has been rumbling on for a good few years but have to prove it to the world and his wife. The GP also mentioned they hadn't had any blood results since last May and I should have them done: I have had my bloods done at both the hospital and the surgery, each should be copied in to the other as stated on the form but, as I told him, it's not my problem if the basic admin. isn't being done.

I am used to doing my own medmin (medical administration) but it would appear that even those who should be doing the basics are failing to do so. Hey-ho. :| DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It is so frustrating when there is this "checklist" approach to health care that means certain procedures have to be followed regardless of individual circumstance and experience. There is a role for such a staged approach, I used a similar one when working as a SENCO, but there also needs to be the recognition that there are times to cut out these stages based on what is being presented.

You must be so frustrated and angry at this response, unfortunately my gut feeling is that this kind of exercise is going to become more common in the NHS.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Feeling your frustration.......how irritating when you know what you need but the limitations of the system force all the hoop jumping. :(

I know from talking to my Registrar son just how frustrating the medics find this approach....I guess they're all doing their best within the limitations of the system and resources. :oops:

I hope all the steps progress swiftly so that you get to you much needed treatment asap.

Deb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Yes, I remember a friend having to jump through these hoops about a year ago. Of course it's all to do with money again. Consultants are regarded as profligate spenders so no longer trusted with such decisions.

You were unlucky in getting a 'child doctor', DD. I find these days I often have the opposite effect. They take one look at me and defer to my - obvious - years of expertise :roll: (“You'll know better than I :shock: ” No won't. Why do you think I'm here?”)

As for 'medmin' (I like it :D ) My former GPs knew that the hospital would never send them blood results so asked me never to assume they had. Hence I occasionally had to have bloods done twice in a week – once because the consultant wanted it at my routine appointment and once so's the surgery had a record. I did because the surgery were brilliant at picking up anything remotely causing concern.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you for your kind replies, I don't think many of us are much good at hoop-leaping! I am finding it frustrating because when I first began everything ran so smoothly: I saw the consultant twice a year, a rheumatology nurse ditto (so someone every three months), my meth booklet was kept up to date because I went weekly to the hospital for my injections, a nurse was dedicated to answering the rheumatology helpline phone - what heaven! :lol:

I borrowed the medmin from Miranda (remember Sally Phillips and her 'wedmin'?) but it works well methinks! This morning I am feeling better in myself about the whole thing, things are as they are, events will unfold as they do and I will do my best to make it all as smooth as possible: the NHS is struggling and I can empathise with that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Aw DD that post was so upsetting to read :(

You sounded more than frustrated closer to worn out with it all. Reading through your post I can so see why.

It's not right to see a Dr and feel like this afterwards. You shouldn't have to go through hoops; physio which won't help and well as Xrays when they already exist.

I can't imagine being told that I don't know what surgery I have had - he was lucky you were patient with him. As for implying that you haven't been having your bloods done - how very dare he indeed. :x

Despite this I am glad you are preparing yourself for the operations you do need.

Take care

Love

Toni xxx