Online supermarket order

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 28. May 2017, 10:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
I reckon online supermarket orders take every bit as long to do as a non-online one but are much easier on the joints.

Today's was an exceptionally long one as we have friends coming for several days. I was almost an hour in and had done all the long categories of fruit and veg and even bakery, chilled, frozen, wine and nibbles. Fed up of it all, I decided to just use the search engine for the few other items.

I entered the first, clicked on it and the screen just instantly disappeared and took my back to my service provider's log in page. It's never done that before. All the windows I had up had gone and there were several anxious, cursing minutes before I got it all back safe and sound and realised I wouldn't have to start from scratch with my order.

The product name I had just entered before everything disappeared was 'Vanish' :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I bet you won't be buying that again :wink:

I've had my basket disappear causing me some anxious moments . . . I was reluctant to begin shopping in this way but when I was forced to I soon appreciated the convenience and ease. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    :lol::lol: I lose patience half way through, at first it was a real novelty...must say it does save us picking up things we wouldn't normally buy so save some money...
    Love
    Barbara
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Options
    I first tried online shopping when Tesco launched it in 2000, and it was a disaster, none of the wine hubby ordered turned up!! So we gave up on it until last year when he broke his leg and was unable to go out and do the shopping.

It has been a boon since, but now he is back on his feet again he has resumed duties! but I still used online, it does take time initially but once you have favourites or previous shopping lists it is easy to re-order the regular stuff. There is no way I can carry any of the heavy stuff so I am relieved that it is had improved so much.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    I've shopped online for sometime now can't carry shopping so its easier. 1st time takes a bit of doing but like Palo I use Tesco and just go into my favourites and order from there saves me an awful lot of hassle. and no carrying heavy shopping.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • palo
    Options
    Carol Sainsburys will let you import favourites from any other major grocer. I also use Asda, and Iceland, but Asda is the easiest I have found.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I was advised against Asda by a friend who's switched to Sainsbury. She said she never knew when Asda would turn up. I've found Sainsbury do stick to their 1 hour time slot.

Against my eco-nature, I use bags because I started just after there was a news item on dirty delivery crates. (I can't remember whether Sainsbury featured or not but we who are immuno-suppressed don't take chances.) I do find them annoyingly profligate though. Last delivery actually gave a tube of tomato puree a bag all to itself :o
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I bag too and always return them for recycling. I tried an unbagged order once and the faff in emptying the crates item by item was too much, I might as well have gone to the store. I agree with the profligacy of use by the staff who pack but I don't know how that part of the system works.

I was put off from using Tesco and Asda by a friend who had used both - and both failed at crucial times, including Asda failing a long-standing booked delivery slot on Christmas Eve. In my years of using Sainsbriz I have only had one grumpy and unhelpful delivery driver, the rest have been superb. When I'm in the store and see the packers hard at work I always say thank you - they are always pleased and often mention it makes a change from other customers moaning about them getting in the way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Its amazing how we as an 'on line society' are unable to get delivering right. I have used Sainsburys and found that in the time I'd put an order together and pressed the buy now button I could go round to the shop and buy it and deliver it round to my mother. There was always a question about quality too and who wants substituted goods? Then again if I go into a store and my usual goods aren't in store then I go elsewhere. I don't cruise the isles, straight in and out. Sainsburys charge about £50 a year for delivery, for which you get a delivery slot, worth it? I'm not sure.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Actually, I think Sainsbury gets it very right.

Yes, as I said, it takes as long as trudging round the supermarket but it isn't half easier on the joints.

I've only very rarely found quality to be an issue.

Who wants substituted goods? Well, me for a start. There is a box you tick if you're prepared to accept substitutions. They tell you, on arrival, what the substitutes are and there's no obligation to accept them. It's usually something like clementines for satsumas though I was a bit mystified when I was given spring onions instead of radishes. :? :lol: I just returned them for a refund. No questions asked.

In my former, 'real' supermarket I didn't cruise the aisles either. I took my list and knew what I wanted but, if they didn't have it, I'd no energy left to go elsewhere. And here, our nearest supermarket is huge. I can only do it by wheelchair. It's also a 20 minutes drive away.

I pay only £30 a year for a midweek delivery. For that I can choose a one hour delivery slot. The drivers are always really nice, friendly people.

I really do think online deliveries are a great thing for we who have mobility and other difficulties.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    Options
    I'm with you Sticky..they have been a life saver for me this past year.

My chief gripe is that no one shop stocks everything I want and have to do a minimum of 2 different store shops.

I always reject any subs I don't like but frequently get a much more expensive product instead of what I ordered, never had a cheaper sub from Asda, and have actually discovered meals and items I would never have tried otherwise.