Lansoprazole

Options
Gobutslow
Gobutslow Member Posts: 23
edited 5. Jun 2017, 10:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to the Doctors today as the rheumatologist told me to take the ibuprofen/paracetamol regularly.
The ibuprofen was playing havoc with my stomach, feeling nauseous, heartburn, pain and I think caused the aneima. The doctor agreed.

So she has put me on lansoprazole with prescription ibuprofen.

I know she said it's to protect my stomach from ulcers etc.. and I'm to take one a day an hour before food.
It doesn't say what time of day to take it. I'm to take the ibuprofen 3 times a day.

Does anyone know when is the best time to take it?

THX :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always found the simplest way is to have them with a glass of water beside the bed. I take it as soon as I get up and, as I take ages to do stuff, by the time I'm washed, dressed and have got my breakfast ready, the hour is up. So then I can take the other meds with my breakfast.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used to take omeprazole (same dog, different piece of string) when I was on naproxen, I would do it first thing on an empty stomach then wait for around the hour before having anything else. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. :D

I took the first one this morning with a cup of warm lemon water ( I take a flask to bed at night as I can't drink cold anything )

I was feeling fine at first then I felt sick for a few hours and have only just taken the ibuprofen with a late breakfast.

I hope it goes better tomorrow morning. It's typical I am very stiff today and my feet,knees and hips are doing their own thing!!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd blame the lemon water. Lemons are very acidic and remain so until further down the digestive tract. Try just water in the flask. I rather like a cup of hot water from time to time.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I take my lansoprazole as soon as I wake, then potter around getting washed etc, by which time I'm ready for breakfast and the handful of other meds that await. The lansoprazole has really helped settle the dreadful heartburn I used to get.

Hope it helps you too.

Deb
  • Gobutslow
    Options

Yes, it could of been the lemon in the water.
    I have just done my flask for tonight with mixed fruit cordial. Hopefully that will make a difference.Actually tastes a lot better. :lol:

It takes me a couple of hours in the morning as I'm stiff and I care for my other half. So by the time I've sorted him out and washed myself half the morning has gone. :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Any better?
    Steven Wright
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    Hi- I just thought I would update this thread.

Well I started the ibuprofen and lansoprazole, at first I was okay,taking the lansoprazole with cordial.
    Within a couple of days my asthma was getting worse and then I had an asthma attack. It took me a day to get it under control and I didn't take any ibuprofen, so my asthma started to improve.

I have an appointment with my GP this week. I am hoping they will come up with something that doesn't interfere with my asthma. I also had lots of stomach pain and bloating.

The few days I was on the ibuprofen made a difference to the stiffness in my SI joint.

I have had a rough few days with everything playing up, not helped by having to help my son move out of university halls for the summer. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My asthma is on the up thanks to the current deluges of pollens and mould spores: I've increased my inhalers as recommended and that is helping matters. I need to take both a preventative and a 'curative' (a Ventolin-based med) - what do you have? DD
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    I'm on montelukast,symbicort 400/12 and ventolin inhaler.

This week the weather isn't helping. Thunder storms always set my asthma off.

Before I was on the montelukast I spent most of the time having daily asthma attacks and being on steroids.
    My asthma has improved so much.
    I do pick up more viruses and mouth ulcers due to the montelukast lowering the immune system. I think it's a price worth paying to be able to breathe.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The preventative inhalers are steroid-based which is why I keep my preventative to the lowest limit I can. My preventative is Budesonide, I am allowed up to two puffs twice per day but I hope to rein that back in soon. The accompanying leaflet advised rinsing my mouth after inhaling to avoid mouth ulcers: I do and so far, so good. The reliever is Bricanyl. I prefer powder inhalers to liquid ones. I have to be especially careful re. mouth ulcers as I also take injected methotrexate for my psoriatic arthritis and that definitely flattens my immune system - that's its job! Do you have the annual 'flu jab?

My asthma began 52 years ago, long before inhalers were invented; to this day I begin to panic if I get stuck in a jumper, I cannot bear strong wind blowing in my face and will not put my head under water. My GP surgery runs an annual asthma clinic and I have just had my review. The nurse was pleased with my inhaler technique (apparently many people don't do it correctly) and peak flow reading of 380 which impressed me! DD
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    That's a good peak flow DD :D
    Yes, I also have an annual MOT with the asthma nurse.

I was one of the first children to be prescribed inhalers through Bristol children's hospital in the 70s.
    Asthma treatment has come along way since then.

I agree with you, washing my mouth out after taking my symbicort stops me getting sore throats and helps with the ulcers.
    I think I get the mouth ulcers due to being run down.
    I was put on iron tablets that are making me less tired now after taking them for 6 weeks. I haven't had any ulcers for a couple of weeks.

All I need now is to sort out the awful stiffness and pain. Hopefully I will get some answers when I see the rheumatologist next month.
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    Just an update.

I went to the Doctors and she said that I am allergic to ibuprofen. Which apparently is common in people with asthma, even though i have been fine in the past.
    She has now prescribed co-codamol in a low dose 8/500 mg. Four times a day.

So I will see how I get on. I felt a little dizzy last night after taking the first dose and I have a headache today.
    I am only going to take them when I need to.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Yes, it is common for ibuprofen to make asthma worse. I had childhood asthma. It cleared up when I was about 6 and re-started when I was prescribed ibuprofen some 40 or so years later. Despite stopping it the asthma has never left me since.

Cocos are painkillers not NSAIDS. I take a couple going to bed most nights. I hope they help.
    Steven Wright
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    I agree my asthma has got worse in the last few years. I'm late 40s. :cry:

I have only taken 4 Cocos :lol: so far as they make me a little dizzy. The pain has been numbed some what but my knee, hip/si joints,neck and ankles are still burning. IYSWIM. Also the stiffness.
    I expect as co-codamol are not NSAIDS the inflammation will stay the same.

I will carry on and wait until I see the rheumatologist later this month.

Thanks for replying. I don't feel as alone as I did since I've found this forum. :D
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the cocos help, like SW I take 2 at bedtime daily to dull stuff enough to get to sleep.

I do wonder whether the RA and asthma are linked as like many others I have both. Like DD the pollens are aggravating my chest too so the steroid preventer (Seretide) is double dosed for now.

Deb
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Cocos are unlikely to do anything for inflammation. Are you on DMARDS? If so, the rheumatologist might tweak them.

Ibuprofen was the only NSAID that brought on my asthma. Back then there were loads of different ones and I had most.

Deb, I think the only connection is the autoimmune thing. Our immune systems are faulty so things can go wrong. And do :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Gobutslow
    Options
    Hi dibdab, I think as asthma triggers inflammation in the airways. It's the same sort of thing that happens in the joints with RA.

I have always thought my asthma is worse, not well controlled when I'm having a tough time with a flare up.

The tablet montelukast I take for my asthma blocks substances called leukotrienes. Leukotrienes cause narrowing of the airways and allergy responses. So the tablets dampen the immune systems reaction.

My asthma has been more controlled since I've been taking them for about a year now.

Stickywicket, I have only had one rheumatologist appointment so far. I go back for the results later this month.
    I am HLAB27 + and my mum and brother both have AS. I have had SI joint/neck problems for 32 years.

It's only in the last two years that my hands,wrists,ankle,knees,toes,feet have joined the party.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've discovered, during my years of auto-immune nonsense, that things can start or stop at any time without rhyme or reason. I have taken ibuprophen in the past with no ill-effects whatsoever - a genetic luck of the draw perhaps?

It can take some time to establish what helps and what hinders but from my experience pain relief works best when it's taken regularly but at well-spaced intervals; the codeine element of cocodamol can cause some trouble for some people but again I have been very fortunate on that front in that they only 'block my drain' (so to speak). DD