Help with pain

Options
OutdoorMaz
OutdoorMaz Member Posts: 19
edited 21. May 2017, 12:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning all

I have some OA and a frozen shoulder and wonder what others use for pain if you can't take NSAID's. I had a surprise gastric bleed last year and was advised not to take them.

I manage on paracetemol or co codamol. The only painkillers I've ever actually been prescribed are codeine for emergencies and I had to get down on bended knee for them (not always easy if you want to get up again! ).

This week I asked my GP (locum) for some more capsaicin cream as it helps my knees. He gave me some but not before telling me it was £17 a tube and I should remember that I only pay £8.60 towards it !!

Am I right to be speechless or is this what's become of things?

Maz x

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have found turmeric paste really good for my arthritis pain.

The health service is in a state of collapse so it doesn't surprise me. Being ripped off by the drug companies seems to be a contributary feature. Aren't their managers and directors ashamed of them selves. There is a strong case for outing them and making them accountable.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pain relief is limited in options and there's a certain degree of overlap in what does what. I take a minimum of two 30/500 cocodamol per day, they remove enough of an edge for me to be able to get on and leave me room to increase if necessary. I have tramadol 50mg for the poorer days but I only user them as a last resort: the body can become used to a certain dosage so it loses its effectiveness so one can end up taking more and more to achieve the same effect. This can also affect our abilities to concentrate, drive and generally function. I have never tried pain patches, maybe I have a high pain threshold but they have never appealed whereas others swear by them. Your GP is the one to advise as he knows your medical history.

In my view the term 'pain killer' is a mis-nomer - killed things don't come back but our pain does. I prefer the term 'pain duller' because that is what they do, they dull the sharper edges. Some people find they are spaced out on cocodamol (an opoid) but I am unaffected in that way which is lucky. Topical creams will work to a certain extent but won't put an end to it. I use Voltarol which I buy OTC (over the counter) and that can help to ease the OA pain in my knees. I've never found NSAIDs any use as pain relief.

As a patient it is very easy to be completely unaware of the true costs of medications - the NHS cushions us against that hence the wastage that occurs by people ordering meds they don't need or no longer take (but haven't told their GP). £8.60 bears no relation to reality, drug development is a very expensive business and the medications themselves can be costly. There are things we can do to help ourselves and should because the meds can only do so much (and often it seems that isn't much at all!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    OutdoorMaz wrote:
    I had to get down on bended knee for them (not always easy if you want to get up again! ).

Maybe if you'd attempted both knees and he'd had to haul you back up again :wink:

Seriously, that's not helpful. There is some evidence that capsaicin works so it's not as if it's some snake oil stuff. Mind you, palo is right. Arthritis is a pain to you and me but is a very lucrative business for others.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 18amandah
    18amandah Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Have you tried Turmeric?Or Rosehip capsules are both good for pain.Both being natural.Tens Machines are good.I prefer heat to relax my sore & stiff muscles.regards Amanda h
  • OutdoorMaz
    Options
    Thank you all.
    I'm definitely going to have to try turmeric, it seems a popular choice. How do you all use it? Am I right in thinking it needs to be a good quality one with another ingredient that makes absorbtion better?
    I totally agree that I need to be helping myself as much as possible. I want as little pain medication as possible. I have slashed my workload(self employed gardener), got orthotics to help bits of me be in the right place, taken up Pilates and got my bike out of the shed again. I think the reason I was a bit miffed is that I'm doing all this, it's been 18 months and nearly £1000 of my own money to get to this point and I'm begrudged a tube of cream!!

It is terrifying though, the whole NHS issue. I had no idea just how broken things are until I got involved 18 months ago when all this started and I got mixed up in a ridiculous referral system that our surgery uses, that seems to involve a private company.
    Its true, there is a lot of money to be made by some in illness and war. It's very sad.

Maz x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    This week I asked my GP (locum) for some more capsaicin cream as it helps my knees. He gave me some but not before telling me it was £17 a tube and I should remember that I only pay £8.60 towards it !!
    Sorry but I think that is unprofessional and unacceptable. The obvious retort is'Well at least I am paying something towards it' Would he have made the same sort of comment about drug costs to a cancer patient on benefits? Yes drug costs are a problem for the NHS, but a fair bit of it is self-inflicted as a result of inadequate patient care(lack of GPs and/or time to review prescriptions), and the involvement of the drug companies is as much a political matter as anything else. Guilt-tripping the patient is not the answer.
    You are doing your best to keep working and it is in everyone's interest, including the NHS, that that continues.
  • OutdoorMaz
    Options
    Thank you daffy2. I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one that took exception to his comments.
    I probably would have ignored him if he hadn't kept tapping the screen and stressing the maths.

I think the system needs to remember that it is only be keeping people of working age as fit as possible that there will be any money in the coffers. I have paid national insurance for 30 plus years.

Anyway it's done and dusted.

Maz x
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Options
    It is pretty appalling to be spoken to like that, I was trying to understand to understand how frustrated the doctor must have been to say that. It is no excuse.

I do think there is considerable waste e.g. hubby recently broke his leg and was given crutches and various other aids. These I am sure would be reusable so is they say charged a deposit so that that was refunded on satisfactory return i don' think that is unreasonable and their money would go further and I am sure there are a million other solutions that could be found.

I don't think being a bottomless pit and free helps anyone, it isn't valued, ends up being abused and encourages waste.

We need to have a sensible debate about what is right and fair for everyone, and what should be charged.
  • OutdoorMaz
    Options
    I totally agree that unnecessary waste is crippling the NHS. It's across the board. Everything needs addressing from the mindset of the system ie things like crutches and aids, poor administration and convoluted practices to the waste caused by patients ie not turning up for appointments, not cancelling unwanted meds and not following advice etc etc. Add in an ageing and increasing population and it's not hard to see how it buckles.

It's not sustainable as it is and personally I would be prepared to pay a bit more in but only if it's ring fenced for the NHS and that alone.

As Private Fraser would say ' We're doomed! '

Our surgery is small and strapped for cash, I'm certain of it. The practice partner has a reputation in the community for being economical with prescriptions. In fact the subject was discussed in our local the other night ( I popped in for medicinal purposes! ). I guess when they take on locums they too are also encouraged to follow his lead.
    I hardly ever visited the surgery until all this happened and now I'm being made to feel like an expensive hypochondriac. In the last 15 months the practice partner has issued me one box of 15mg codeine for a frozen shoulder, tendonitis and OA. I'm hardly draining the system, I'd just like a bit of pain relief to enable me to help me help myself.

Sorry rant over :roll:
  • 18amandah
    18amandah Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi I am a carer for my Disabled Husband we both have Arthritis, I also have a failed hip replacement. I am terrified of hospitals big time.I had my op via choose & book in the Nuffield hospital in Woking. I Can't fault them at all.But there is no way I would have another Op as I have no proper care for me.I only take painkillers when I have to the rest of the time I am on Turmeric, cherry juice all thanks to a health food shop.I also have regular Reflexology and when we go away we like to use a spa /jacuzzi at hotels.I must admit that I have got to rest more than I do.At night I have rescue remedy. I listen to Cds if I can't sleep.I am into healing crystals.Anyway sorry to rant,but there seems to be no cure and GPS really are stuck ag times.My Hubby has been on the same Meds for many years with out a break.I try and cut his pain relief down.He's also deaf & severely sighted in both eyes. But together we struggle onwards & Upwards. Regards Amanda h
  • OutdoorMaz
    Options
    Hi Amanda h
    I don't mind you ranting in the least. I can hear the frustration in your words.
    We are not far from you as it happens. the RSCH is my "local" and I can't fault them either (once you get that far).

The other GP partner at my practice told me she spends all her time chasing up referrals and worries for her patients that can't stand up and be heard. I do understand the pressure that my surgery is under.

Anyway.....as you say, onwards and upwards. We'll find ways.
    I want to use the forum for support, advice and laughs. It mustn't be too much of a political platform however much there is to rant about.

Maz x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm sure there are no easy answers.

As I understand it, many hospitals actually find it cheaper not to take equipment returns rather than funding chasing them up (Many were never returned anyway), their storage (It's not just crutches but larger items too), their inspections for damage, disinfecting and (if they didn't do all that) compensation claims.

I don't agree with a charge as some of the poorest might find that extremely difficult but I do agree that doing everything for people encourages waste and lack of responsibility. I don't have an answer to that.

However, I do recall that, some months ago, one party called for an all-party committee to review every aspect of the NHS and social care. It hasn't happened.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • OutdoorMaz
    Options
    I don't think there are any easy answers either. I think as a society we have moved ever nearer being wasteful and lacking responsibility. We seem to think the world owes us a living and that everything that happens is someone else's fault.

Attitudes need to change but I suppose this is where social problems get muddled into the equation.

I have to confess that my diagnosis has been an eye opener. I never expected everyone to drop everything and deal with me but I had hoped for a bit more something and I'm not even sure what!!

Education and health are two areas that should never be made political footballs.

Maz x