Who do I see for pain relief?

Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 23. May 2017, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
im really struggling with pain atm and can barely make it through the day at work. The pain is widespread and in several joints so it is hard to manage. I'm on sulf for disease control and have been on prednisolene which in higher doses meant I was pain free but Ive been gradually reducing it which means I'm back at square one pain wise. Wondering if I can go back on to naproxen which I had at the beginning with omeprazole. Presumably I'd see my GP about this rather than my rheumatologist? I don't have a rheumatology nurse so there's nobody else I can ask short term.
Rach xx


  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,558
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Your GP is the one to advise, the rheumatologist could make recommendations but seeing a GP is easier and quicker. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 26,252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes, do see the GP. I think there is less concern than there used to be about prescribing NSAIDS along with DMARDS and it might be that only your rheumatologist can do this but your GP is definitely the one to go to for pain relief itself.

    It must be very difficult trying to work with all this going on (It's many years since I did it) but I hope you can find something that helps.
    "The deeper sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain." Kahlil Gibran
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks both of you. I assumed it'd be the GP but wanted to check!