RA

Options
goldsmith
goldsmith Member Posts: 2
edited 24. May 2017, 05:11 in Say Hello Archive
hi
my first post, so much to ask and discuss I'm not sure were to start.
Typing not so easy with my hands so try to ignore typos. I started this RA business with pain in my knees and my GP passed me on to a consultant with steroid injections to help me on the way I was put on a combination of methotrixate and hydroxychoroquine. The knee problem started to ease quite quickly but It then flared up in both my hands and feet to a point that I was struggling to walk. So sulfasalazine was added to the cocktail, so with my two blood pressure tablets I take about sixty pills a week.The pain in my feet is much better, but my hands are now very very swollen they are almost useless. Is this potted history familiar to anyone any advise

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, goldsmith, from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of RA, please do not worry about typing errors due to pain in your hands – you are not alone. The history you have given will be familiar to many on here as is the number of tablets you take a week.

I don’t know whether you have had time to look on the main arthritis care site? Just in case you haven’t yet, I have attached a link to the section entitled ‘our services and support’. It includes some personal stories and links to what might be available to you in your area. No pressure if you don't want to of course.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/our-services-and-support

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome :D

I'm sorry you qualify to join our not-very :roll: -exclusive club.

I have RA too and mine started in my hands. I think that's very common. I do hope that, like me, you'll find that, once the meds are working well, things will improve. Sometimes it can take some time and several meds.

If your rheumatologist is satisfied with your blood tests it's a matter of dealing with the pain and your GP can do that. But, if your hands are so swollen and difficult, it does sound as if your disease is not under control.

How long have you been on the triple therapy? It can take up to 12 weeks for a new DMARD to kick in.

(And don't worry about all the meds. I have a drawerful :lol: Half my carry-on luggage, when flying, is medication :roll: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright