unable to work

Options
lil1612
lil1612 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I wonder if anyone can answer some of my questions. I work part time but am now off sick due to severe arthritis of hip and also affects knee. Been off since april and have already seen Occupational health and have a meeting with boss and HR next week. I think they want to get rid of me. I have to have hip replacement and am wondering if they are going to offer me early retirement due to ill health - I am 61. If they do - what would this mean to me? Would I also be able to claim pips on a temporary basis and a blue card? The occupational health docotr says it is a disability. I have read various items but none of it seems to make any sense especially to ESA

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi lil1612
    I am sorry you have all these issues coming up at the moment, you do have a lot on your plate. The best place to get information about benefits is the citizens advice https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/
    You can claim PIP if you are in work or not and it is not means tested, you can apply for a blue badge through your local council office and if you are out of work and sick you can claim ESA but you are right it is quite complicated.
    You might find it useful to look at this section of our website https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/working-with-arthritis there is lots of information there about your rights and about working with arthritis. If you would like more information and someone to talk things through with you can contact our helplines on 0808 800 4050
    Welcome to the forum and I am sure some of our members will be along soon to share their experience with you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi my situation echoes yours a bit! I am off sick at the moment with OA in knees thumbs and neck. I feel quite protected at work, we get up to 6 months full pay but then go to half pay etc occ health work hard to get you back to work and make necessary adaptations. I have 15 year left to retirement a d honestly don't think I can manage 2 never mind 15. I'm not sure about benefits but I have been told the disability act applies to me I think that means I may be classed as having a disability but bit sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Jennifer
    the government website has a huge amount of information that is very useful about what can be classified as a disability. Arthritis certainly falls into that category. You might like to read more here https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

When it comes to claiming benefit you may qualify for PIP (personal independence payments) we have a section on our website here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/financial-support-and-arthritis/personal-independence-payment-pip
    Lets us know how you are getting on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Mcelwaine
    Mcelwaine Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I am currently in a similar situation as yourself, I work for a local authority in a children's home, reasonable adjustment were made to allow me to continue working 9 months ago howeber tbey couldnt meet these adjustments and i spoke to HR about my rights, highlighting my difficulties, my manager was asked why the reasonable adjustments wernt being met and she advised she couldnt due to staffing shortsge etc, i was injured during a restraint and send to OH where I was assessed for job I do... was deemed unfit 8 weeks ago, I am currently waiting to see if there is a job available for me to transfer however it seems if I don't get anything I may be paid off through incapacity I'd get 12wks pay plus holidays then that's me unemployed, I'm only 46 have a lot more years in me, hope you get the information you need to move forward

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk