Has anyone heard of MSM?

grinder78
grinder78 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. May 2017, 09:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
My husband suffers from low back pain. His doctor sad it was arthritis due to poor posture when he was younger. He has tried paracetamol, ibuprofen, Glucosamine+chondroitin, fish oil, heat packs and exercises. They all have limited effect and did not last long. Ibuprofen worked well, but he was concerned of side effects.

Recently he bought a supplement with Glucosamine+Chondroitin with MSM. THis took about 80% of his pain away. I wonder what is MSM and if there are any side effects to it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grinder sorry to hear about your husband and MSM.Welcome to the forum glad you have found us,the people on the forum are both friendly and sympathetic and will get around answering your question soon and will chat about Arthritis and what they take for it.
    All the best Christine :sun:
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    You might find this link helpful in answer to your question.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-osteoarthritis/msm.aspx
    I first heard of MSM some years ago when my daughter used it for one of her horses that had arthritis.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    daffy2 wrote:
    You might find this link helpful in answer to your question.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-osteoarthritis/msm.aspx
    I first heard of MSM some years ago when my daughter used it for one of her horses that had arthritis.

I hope you weren't tempted to try some of the horse's daffy!!!!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    [quoteI hope you weren't tempted to try some of the horse's daffy!!!!
    [/quote]
    Ah, that was in the happy days before OA Toni! In equine circles it's usually the bute that gets shared, but I'm not tempted - in any case daughter has moved away.
    As it happens I am looking into MSM as I'm having real difficulties at present with what can only be described as inflammatory problems and considerable associated pain, and such episodes are becoming more frequent and more severe. Dilemma is that my IBS tends to object to a great many things that would otherwise be useful, and sulphur related substances are one of them - cabbage cousins are now treated with care, a real bummer as I love kale, broccoli, rocket etc, and they are also good sources of calcium for my OP - and an allergy to shellfish means that the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements(which the MSM often comes with) are not ideal....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello grinder78 and welcome from me, too. I was going to refer you to the ARUK page but I see daffy has already done that.

It seems that, if it helps, why not though the trials are very small and, if you get the tummy problems, do see your GP as he can give you something to help. Good luck!

daffy - I'm sure I read once that. whatever the health problem, it's the very foods we love which can cause or exacerbate it :roll: However, as for MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Healthspan do a shellfish-free / vegan range. I hope that might help a little.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My mum and dad started using glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM supplement over twenty years ago, viewing it as a preventative (well, Mum did, Dad initally swallowed the tablets to keep the peace then took to putting them in the rubbish). It didn't do anything (Dad died due to bowel cancer and age and Ma developed OA regardless) but it made her feel as though she was in control.

Like all medications and supplements these things work for some and not for others: taking a pill can make people feel better in themselves such is the psychological effect of such an act. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • grinder78
    grinder78 Member Posts: 3
    I have find that MSM can help with erectile dysfunction. Hmm. Sound nice.
    https://eddrugs2017.com/methyl-sulfonyl-methane-mineral-ed-effect/

I'm not sure that can help instantly like ED drugs but who know.

Have somebody heard about forskolin? My friend said that it possibly help with pain.

"What is Forskolin?
    Forskolin is an active compound found in the roots of the Indian coleus (Coleus forskohlii), a tropical plant related to mint.

For centuries, this plant has been used in traditional herbal medicine to treat various conditions and diseases (2). Penis enlargement pills - read more.

Modern scientific research has now shown that some of these health benefits may be true, or at least plausible.

As a weight-loss supplement, forskolin gained popularity in the US after being featured on the Dr. Oz Show in January 2014."
    But i'm not sure
    Does Forskolin Actually Work?