had a big op, going home, knee all swelled up!

Options
tupney
tupney Member Posts: 28
edited 1. Aug 2017, 06:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been in hospital for 8 days after being rushed in with a blocked bowel (ugh). As I am lying in pain the surgeon says 'I see you have OA in your left knee, any pain?'.
My knee was twice the proper size, but all I could think about was all the other pain. I hope to go home today (fingers crossed), and now I am worried that my knee will give way and I will fall onto my tummy (don't even think about that!)
For some time I will be taking little baby steps. :o

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi tupney
    is there any chance you could borrow some crutches for a few weeks and do you think this would help? It would be worth asking to see a physiotherapist if you can before you go home, or see your GP for some support. I hope your tummy and knee settle down soon
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello tupney
    I'm with Sharon anything to keep you balanced till you get stronger..I do wish you a good recovery and please let us know how you get on x..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    You have presumably been walking while in hospital to get to the bathroom etc. Has it given way while doing so? If not, I don't see that it would be more likely to do so at home (while in the house and therefore on the flat) but really it's best to ask a medic especially if you're still in hospital where they are available.

Fluid retention is quite common after operations. It might be that yours has just found a convenient joint to settle in. I think you should take proper medical advice though because your natural reaction might be to keep your weight off it whereas it might be lack of exercise that's causing it or making it worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tupney
    tupney Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Have come home now, lots of tests,scans and allsorts. The swelling on my OS knee (left one) had gone down, now its swollen again(?) and when I walk upstairs the knee 'clicks' like before.
    Now I have been told that I have to have a 'PET Scan' in UCLondon Hospital a more 'depth' scan then the ones before. I have found all the walking round large hospitals trying to find places (all hospitals are like rabbit warrens) are not doing a power of good to my OS knee.
    I hope everyone is feeling good, tomorrow maybe (!?!) I will be doing handstands and cartwheels!. schair
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    No cartwheels tupney!!

Take care that op sounded very scary :?

I hope your knee behaves while you recuperate ((()))

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Blimey, you've been through the ringer, eh? I've also recently had an episode of being very poorly and my Rheumatoid felt this was an excellent time to flare up. I wonder if is our body just not coping with everything it's been through and reacting badly..? Just an idea. Glad you've got a scan booked though, sounds like they're looking into it and hopefully can find something that will help. In the mean time, it's probably a good idea to avoid any gymnastics. :wink: you need to rest up!