Young with Arthritis

Options
Jo2402
Jo2402 Member Posts: 12
edited 4. Jun 2017, 07:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm in my early twenties and have suffered from back pain for years. After having to convince my gp I needed an MRI I found out last week I have degenerative Arthritis in my back. I'm in pain every day and it could get worse. I'm confused and scared as to how this happened and what the future looks like. I'm thankful it's not life threatening but it is really impacting on my life and the people around me. Is there any advice people can give or similar experiences to share? Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joe Welcome to the forum,its great you have found us and I hope you enjoy talking to other people on the forum.Sorry that you are in pain but you will find others on the forum just like you, we all have Arthritis in one form or another.
    All the best Christine :sun:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi Jo and welcome from me too though I'm very sorry to hear about the arthritis and of course it will seem very scary and threatening.

How did it happen? You'll probably never know, I'm afraid. My own OA (osteoarthritis / degenerative arthritis / wear and tear) came about because I had had rheumatoid arthritis for many years. Sometimes OA can set in where there has been some injury to the joint. There is some research going on now into some kind of genetic component at least with some people. But, really, the cause is in the past for you. It's your future that's more important.

Firstly, eat healthily. That helps.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis

Interestingly, there is now some evidence that eating broccoli, sprouts and cabbage (but especially broccoli) can help in the fight against OA http://tinyurl.com/yah86vsr

Exercise is definitely necessary to keep the muscles supporting your spine strong and working well. This reduces pain.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/exercise-and-arthritis

Also smoking increases pain. Smokers are actually more likely to get RA than non-smokers. I don't think this is true of OA but, apparently, smokers feel pain more keenly.

So these are a few ways in which you can help yourself and I do wish you success. You are very perceptive in saying that your arthritis impacts both on you and on those around you. None of us wishes to inflict our pain on others but, when it's bad, we do have to ask for help or cancel engagements etc.The more we can do to help ourselves the better. Unfortunately there's no quick fix. Or even a slow fix. But the things I've outlined will help.

And, if you'd like a chat about it to one of our Helpline people, they're around Monday to Friday usually. Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jo2402
    Options
    Hi Jo and welcome from me too though I'm very sorry to hear about the arthritis and of course it will seem very scary and threatening.

How did it happen? You'll probably never know, I'm afraid. My own OA (osteoarthritis / degenerative arthritis / wear and tear) came about because I had had rheumatoid arthritis for many years. Sometimes OA can set in where there has been some injury to the joint. There is some research going on now into some kind of genetic component at least with some people. But, really, the cause is in the past for you. It's your future that's more important.

Firstly, eat healthily. That helps.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis

Interestingly, there is now some evidence that eating broccoli, sprouts and cabbage (but especially broccoli) can help in the fight against OA http://tinyurl.com/yah86vsr

Exercise is definitely necessary to keep the muscles supporting your spine strong and working well. This reduces pain.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/exercise-and-arthritis

Also smoking increases pain. Smokers are actually more likely to get RA than non-smokers. I don't think this is true of OA but, apparently, smokers feel pain more keenly.

So these are a few ways in which you can help yourself and I do wish you success. You are very perceptive in saying that your arthritis impacts both on you and on those around you. None of us wishes to inflict our pain on others but, when it's bad, we do have to ask for help or cancel engagements etc.The more we can do to help ourselves the better. Unfortunately there's no quick fix. Or even a slow fix. But the things I've outlined will help.

And, if you'd like a chat about it to one of our Helpline people, they're around Monday to Friday usually. Good luck :)

Thank you for all of this advice, I know it's early days but it was just upsetting to hear I will always have this pain when I was hopeful for a cure or treatment. It's great to have support through this forum to help with my understanding so thank you for that x

• Jo2402
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Joe Welcome to the forum,its great you have found us and I hope you enjoy talking to other people on the forum.Sorry that you are in pain but you will find others on the forum just like you, we all have Arthritis in one form or another.
    All the best Christine :sun:

Hi Christine, many thanks for the warm welcome x

• Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Jo, sorry to hear you have arthritis. I've recently joined this forum myself and find it to be a great help.

I have RA and was 17 when I first started getting symptoms. I wasn't officialy diagnosed until I was nearly 26 (last year!).

Sticky is right about the diet and exercise, they definitely help even if you don't feel like exercise. A little a day can help ease the pain. Hopefully with a good care plan and the right treatment you can get it under control. It may take a long time but just remember you aren't alone and there's always people willing to help.

Natalie x
  • Jo2402
    Options
    Hi Jo, sorry to hear you have arthritis. I've recently joined this forum myself and find it to be a great help.

I have RA and was 17 when I first started getting symptoms. I wasn't officialy diagnosed until I was nearly 26 (last year!).

Sticky is right about the diet and exercise, they definitely help even if you don't feel like exercise. A little a day can help ease the pain. Hopefully with a good care plan and the right treatment you can get it under control. It may take a long time but just remember you aren't alone and there's always people willing to help.

Natalie x

Thank you Natalie, the exercise is something I am going to need to start doing, the pain puts me off but everyone says it will help in the long-run so I should stick with it! Thank you x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear this Jo :(

I also had back pain from my teenage years diagnosed in early 20's. I have no idea why other than that I spent a lot of time volunteering with people who had physical disabilities...maybe.

In my 40's I developed inflammatory arthritis too.

My daughter was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis, due to cancer treatment,(at 16), and high dose steroids at, 18 and has had hip surgery, (sept at 18), and a shoulder replacement in January at just 19.

Somehow she just sucks it up. Not sure how, but maybe because she beat cancer and is still here?

I hope your Drs have a 'plan' for you.

The advice about looking after yourself is good eating healthily etc, but the best thing for me has always been getting informed. That is on the net - at reliable sources like AC NHS. Anything with org in the name I trust!

Maybe best of all chatting on here :) but don't feel alone arthritis is really not just for older people.

Take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • Jo2402
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I am very sorry to hear this Jo :(

I also had back pain from my teenage years diagnosed in early 20's. I have no idea why other than that I spent a lot of time volunteering with people who had physical disabilities...maybe.

In my 40's I developed inflammatory arthritis too.

My daughter was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis, due to cancer treatment,(at 16), and high dose steroids at, 18 and has had hip surgery, (sept at 18), and a shoulder replacement in January at just 19.

Somehow she just sucks it up. Not sure how, but maybe because she beat cancer and is still here?

I hope your Drs have a 'plan' for you.

The advice about looking after yourself is good eating healthily etc, but the best thing for me has always been getting informed. That is on the net - at reliable sources like AC NHS. Anything with org in the name I trust!

Maybe best of all chatting on here :) but don't feel alone arthritis is really not just for older people.

Take care

Love

Toni xxx

Thank you Toni, such words of strength. You are absolutely right, education and 'sucking it up', we can't change these things but we must learn the best ways to deal with it. Much love to you and your daughter, she is an example to many xx