OT

Options
stremlett
stremlett Member Posts: 37
edited 5. Jun 2017, 03:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
At last my appointment for physiotherapy has arrived. Unexpectedly there is also an appointment for occupational therapy which as far as I know was not asked for and is not wanted.

Does anyone have any idea whether this would be useful to me as I don't work? I already use a lot of devices to help me in my day-to-day life, to help me get up in the morning, to help me turn over in bed, to help me reach things etc. The technique tips which are available on this forum have been so helpful too. I don't want to use up an appointment of 30 minutes which could be very valuable to somebody else, but I don't want to pass it up if it might be of use to me!!

All views would be welcome :-) SueT

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd definitely take it especially if you've not had an OT in your home before, or for some time.

I think it's kind, thoughtful and practical of you to be concerned about potentially 'wasting' the time which an O.T. might more profitably use for someone else but..... You clearly have physical needs and these people are experts in what's available and of most use in each situation. She (they usually are 'shes') might see a possibility which you haven't. Or might see how you can better use the aids you already have.

When I moved up here last year my new rheumatologist asked if I'd like to see a physio. My first thought was that I still do exercises given by various physios at various times but, aware that a new pair of eyes sometimes sees things differently, I said yes please. She was lovely. She asked if there was any particular area I was interested in and I said, as I already do leg, arm and core muscles exercises, anything that might help to prevent my grip deteriorating further would be welcome.

So, for the first time in about 40 years, I bought some Play Dough. It wasn't ideal (I spent more time getting it in and out of the tub than doing the prescribed exercises :roll: ) so I moved on to an exercise / stress ball. It sits on my desk and, as I'm waiting for websites to load, I have a fiddle and roll with it. I thought it was doing nothing until I realised that, for the first time in ages, when I exercise with my little 0.5k dumbells, they no longer fly out of my hand and threaten anyone in the room.

So my advice would be to take it and, in the interim, think which areas of activity and which rooms you have most difficulty with and what the difficulties are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I'd say go along and find out what she can offer, I've found OT really helpful, and sometimes it's the little bits of practical advice that make all the difference in coping with tasks.

Hope the physio is helpful too.

Deb
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you both; I think you're right and I'll give it a go x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You have nothing to loose and the possibility of some good advice. Go for it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich