Do I go back to Consultant?

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 7. Jun 2017, 11:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
My left knee was totally replaced 30th Jan this year. Since then I've been struggling with severe post-op swelling and lack of range of movement. My leg feels "heavy" and I am having to lift it using my hands, or by tucking my right leg under my left ankle, a good part of the time.

I had 6 lots of physio after the op and at the last session she briefly "forced" my knee to a 90 degree bend but I had sweat pouring off me and the air turned blue for the few seconds she had my knee in that position.

The knee is still swelling so much that, 99% of the time, I am unable to hardly move it let alone do the post op exercises. It's been giving way underneath me on a regular basis - the physio told me that was "muscle fatigue". When I had my 6 week post-op check with the consultant, he was happy with the progress of my knee although he acknowledged there was a long way to go, said if I still had issues at 4 months post-op I should ask my GP to send me back to the consultant.

This weekend? The pain has been horrendous. So much so last night I had to take additional "top-up" pain meds. I went into town this afternoon just to get out for a while and, after struggling around one shop, I was in so much pain I gave up and came home. I am still having to use an elbow crutch due to my left ankle needing to be fused thanks to the OA.

I've jarred the knee several times thanks to not having lifted my leg high enough at times and I seem to be lifting the leg from the hip. (Hope that description makes sense?).

Realistically I know I need to see the consultant, but the question goes through my head "what's the point?" If he measures my knee bend, and forces it to 90 degree bend, he could say that's a positive outcome from the TKR perspective. And I don't want to waste NHS resources when everything is so stretched.

In 2009 my right knee was partially replaced. I have a 125 degree bend on that, the replaced part of the knee is generally pain free and the leg doesn't feel "heavy". Having said that, my right knee has been protesting lately at the extra work it's had to do, firstly whilst I was waiting for the left TKR and then subsequently thanks to the recovery of the left TKR.

I've had to see a physio lately as my neck impingement came back. He can only treat the neck but has said there is far too much swelling of the left knee for where I am post-op. I can't take anti-inflammatories as I'm allergic to them.

I realise I am older this time and this was a total replacement as opposed to a partial but? I need some common sense ideas and guidance please and I know I'll get that from you on here.

So, what would you do please? Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace,

I'm not an expert and have never had any joints replaced but it sounds like you are in agony and so I would advise you go back to your consultant. Something doesn't sound right and there's no need for you to be in pain if it's not necessary.

Good luck getting it sorted, Natalie x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think you need to go back. And as for not wanting to waste NHS resources, you won't be. In my experience the people who worry about this are those who are not wasting resources. The ones who do are those who go to A and E for minor issues.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    So, what would you do please?

What would I do? Or what do I think is the sensible thing to do :wink:

Grace, you must be heartily sick of hospitals, consultants and operations and, in your shoes, I might well be trying to convince myself that potentially letting myself in for more would not be a good thing to do right now. And yet..... And yet.

I do think it's the sensible thing to do. It will almost certainly mean more of something you don't want but, on the other hand, I don't see this knee suddenly improving by itself, do you?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As you know I've not had any kind of replacement surgery but I am aware that recovery times vary from person-to-person. Here you are, five months on and still struggling despite behaving yourself: that doesn't seem right to me.

I think it necessary to contact your surgeon etc to let them know that things are not going TOO WELL (SORRY, NEW KEYBOARD, NOT SHOUTING BUT CAN'T GET RID OF CAPS LOCK) . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind replies, guidance and advice. You've all confirmed my thoughts. Something isn't right and my next step is to get this reported/recorded with medical staff. So my first challenge will be to get a GP appointment (easier said than done these days!) but I'll see if I can get an appointment for later in the week.

I am doing all I can to keep the knee generally moving. I know two knee replacements aren't the same, but even allowing for this, my left knee is not right. I'm nearly back up to the level of pain meds I was on when I was immediately post-op, it's sheer determination stopping me from taking that route.

I'll update you all once I've seen the GP.

Thanks again.

Grace

(P.S. DD - good luck with your new technology. It can be baffling at first can't it?).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Poor you Grace :shock:

You've gone beyond the 4 months that the consultant mentioned so I agree with you all! Back you must go.

The main aim of surgery is very often as much about pain reduction as mobility.

Let us know how you get on.

I have an appointment with my GP for 29th June - I made it last month sometime :roll:

Love

Toni xx
  • GraceB
    Options
    Well, I saw a GP today. Had to get a fairly urgent appointment as I had palpitations last night for about 3 hours! It settled, but I then realised when deep breathing I felt tight in the chest so thought it was best to get an appointment today.

My GP agrees that the knee needs checking so is sending a letter to my consultant asking for him to see me in clinic to check things. I demonstrated to her the difference in knee bend and pain between my left (most recently totally replaced knee) and my right (partly replaced in 2009) and she could see that a) it was a huge struggle to get the knee to 90 degree bend; and b) it was agony!

With regards to the palpitations she did the usual checks, and we also went through a checklist re possible post-op DVT but as I don't (and never have) had any calf pain or swelling, she feels the two are unconnected. I had tablet blood thinners after the TKR and also wore those awful TED stockings for 3-4 weeks (couldn't tolerate them after that and I was moving regularly at that point).

My oxygen levels were normal when she checked and my lungs, etc., sounded clear to her. If I get the palpitations again I'm to let them know and they'll do an ECG at the surgery for me. I don't have any cardiac history, and I didn't have any left arm/jaw pain last night so, and I'll be totally honest, I just tried to ignore the palpitations last night.

So an update for you a little earlier than I planned!

GraceB