going on holiday with methotrexate self injection kit

Options
b2syo
b2syo Member Posts: 18
edited 8. Jun 2017, 01:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
My consultant has just swapped my weekly oral methotrexate tablets for a weekly injection. This is in the hope of alleviating some of the side effects. I am going on holiday in September for a week in Spain and would like to know if anyone had any tips of how to travel with the needle and how/where to dispose of the used needle abroad. I know this is a very small problem on the grand scale of things but I would be grateful if anyone has some advice please.
Thank you

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm on tablet meth so don't have the 'sharps' problem though I know it does come up from time to time.

I think you need to arrange with your airline re keeping it in their fridge but would need to ensure for yourself that it is kept at the right temperature before getting on the plane, after and at your destination. I always carry a repeat prescription in my hand luggage so that all my meds can be checked if necessary. (They go in hand luggage too in case the hold case goes awol.)

I guess the used syringes must be disposed of as usual in the sharps bin and taken back to UK (probably best in hold this time).

Personally, if you're only going for a week, I'd just skip the meth that week and save all the bother.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I confess that when I was taking meth if I was going away for just a week I simply missed a dose. I believe it's possible to get a small sharps bin to take away, maybe the company that deliver your injections could advise you what's available?

Deb x
  • Buka
    Buka Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I travel with my humira pens often and have never had a problem yet. I have a small cool bag that takes 4 ice packs and I put my medication in there and always fly with it in my hand luggage. They cant go in the hold of the plane because it gets too cold and there is also a danger of them going missing. Not all aircraft have fridges and I dont think they like the responsibility of looking after medication for people. The space is at a premium on an aircraft. On a short flight to Spain your ice packs will do the job.I also have a small 'travel' sharps bin which you can ask for with your ordinary delivery. You will need a letter from your consultant stating that the medication is prescribed for you. If I am flying early morning and in a hotel the night before then I ask the hotel to freeze the ice packs and fridge the humira. I always put instructions on the top of the cool bag so they know where to put everything. Using this method I have travelled as far as Australia/South Africa/Vietnam. You will find that even on a long haul flight they are fine. I've given up declaring that they are there (unless asked about sharp objects) because no one is that interested but I always let the cool bag go through the security xray separately in a tray (ie not in another bag) so it is there for everyone to see. I've even arranged for friends to carry them on aircraft for me (Ryan air were very helpful) so they are used to it. Just for info - ferries will put them in the fridge and freeze the ice packs again happily. I do overnight crossings to France regularly. Have a great trip!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi there b2syo

What comprehensive advice you had there from Buka about how to travel with your MTX in jab form :)

I travelled with my youngest who was mid-chemo, with all sorts sharps bin as well as heparin vials as she had a central line. we went in a vehicle via the tunnel, but I also got all the paperwork ready just in case.

I was just going to say you have plenty of time to get relevant letters and sharps box and to wish you the best holiday :)

With love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Meth injections do not need to be kept cool. I bought a travel sharps for one holiday but found the pens very hard to fit in, and it wouldn't take more than three. I also marked the bin 'cytotoxic' to ensure its proper disposal when it was collected.

If I go away for a week or two I don't bother taking it with me - when the hospital used to administer my jabs they weren't fussed if I missed a fortnight - the Meth stays in your system. I am currently away for longer so have had to bring the whole kit and caboodle but, as flying was not involved, it was no bother. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben