Hip revisioning

Options
idris
idris Member Posts: 9
edited 16. Jun 2017, 06:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Lots of questions to come on hip replacements, but to kick off just a small handful ...

Does anyone have experience of hip replacement revisioning? Especially anyone between 40 and 60yrs old.
What type of prosthesis needed revisioning?
What lead to the need for revisioning?
What type of revisioining did you have?
How long ago was the revisioning done?
What prognosis were you given?
Were the original and revisioning surgeries done privately or on the NHS?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum,I have no experience with hip surgery but there are many on here who have and they'd be happy to share the experience.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Idris and welcome though I'm not sure we'll be a great deal of help to you as hip revisions are very few and far between on here. Let's try, though.

1. I've not had a hip revision but I've had a knee revision. My original TKRs were put in in 1981 when I was 35 (My OA came about as a result of many years of RA) and I had one of them revised about nine years ago when I was 62.

2. My original TKRs were the Leeds knee. I've no idea what type my THRs are. One is about 25 years old and the other about 15.

3. Old age led to the revision. It was 27 years old and had slid out of position.

4. I've no idea what type of revision I had. A very good one as it's never given me a day's problem.

5. I didn't ask for a prognosis. It had to be replaced so it was.

6. I've had all my surgery done on NHS, admittedly at an excellent teaching hospital. I would be very nervous of going private as I know people who did. I know there are some very good outcomes but I wouldn't chance it. I distrust the post-op care.

You might be interested in this article on hip revision surgery on Arthritis Research UK.

http://tinyurl.com/h9ecjyj

And please ask away if you've other questions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry idris I have had both hips replaced but no revisions ..not yet anyway..
    Love
    Barbara
  • idris
    Options
    Thanks.
    (Especially for the intersting link.)

I'm just trying to get my head round the likely need for revisioning before I commit to surgery.

The people I know who've had hips replaced/resurfaced younger than 50 were told they shouldn't need reversioning, or at least probably not for at least 25yrs.
    By contrast the osteo surgeon I saw (who I wouldn't go back to for other reasons) and the fromer osteo surgeon/now GP that I've just seen talked about 10-15yrs.

I guess revisioning it's at best possible, of not likely, at some point, it's just a question of how likely and what the most likely implications are.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So, am I right in thinking you don't yet have a THR and are just trying to gauge your future if you do? That's a tricky one as none of us knows what the future holds whether or not we have arthritis.

My understanding is slightly different to yours in that I thought younger people tended to ask more of their prostheses and so wore them out more quickly than older ones but I'm really not sure about that. I know I've had all my prostheses (two hips and two knees) a long time but, given ubiquitous RA, I'm unlikely to put too much strain on them. Indeed, my aim is, on the contrary, to exercise them as much as the RA allows.

I wish you well in your decision-making.
    Steven Wright
  • idris
    Options
    I think you're correct about incresed wear in younger patients, but as mentioned, those I know who've had hip replacements have been told they sbould get better longevity than ive been told by the clinicians I've spoken to. Just trying to gauge the weight of medical opinion. (Obviously every patient is unique, the future unpredictble, and your house may be repossessed if you fail to make repayments.)

I've not had a THR and until recently was convinced the merits of resurfacing outweighed those of THRs (especially in relation to revisioning, and inspite of MoM and ion toxicity). But I've recently come across more posiitive information about THRs in younger patients, especially in relation to cement free modular prosthesis. I still think, all materials being equal, resurfacing is a better engineering solution, but as there are different materials issues, the balance may be shifting.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Maybe, if you go private, you'll get a say in what procedure is used and which, if any, prosthetic but I think, on the NHS, one goes with the surgeon's preference. Personally, I'm much happier with that as, no matter how much research we do, we are amateurs and they are the ones who have put in the years of study and hard practice at the coalface.

How painful is your hip? And how restricted are you by it? Which meds do you take?
    Steven Wright