Oh no!

Options
AliB
AliB Member Posts: 41
edited 13. Jun 2017, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had a date for my hip replacement for 12 weeks now for the 27th June for my hip replacement.... have been counting the weeks off ...only three now This afternoon I get a phone call from the hospital to say due to 'an emergency' my operation has been put back till the 30th August...another almost three months To say I am upset and fed up is an understatement.. emergency my '.......' nhs cutbacks more like. Has this happened to anyone else?

Am going to speak to my GP tomorrow about having it done privately...tried this afternoon but can only speak to him between 11am and 12 ....made me even more p... off !!!

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have had 2 THR`s but I was not cancelled for them but
    I have had a similar experience when I was having my hysterectomy. I had been clerked in by the junior doctor, was in my gown, and then due to an emergency was sent home. I had my surgery 2 weeks later. I was not happy initially, but then thought I would rather have been me than someone needing emergency surgery.
    However if you feel it is down to cuts, ...maybe you could use your vote to stop further cuts? :roll:
    I hope you can get your op soon x
    NB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Very frustrating AliB

I am no expert, but would think it would still take at least a month to have it done privately...get apt with GP....then referral letter...then get apt with private consultant then Xrays/MRI and pre-ops all over again.

and it isn't cheap is it, but I bet the food is better ;)

I'm not sure how they can foresee and emergency on 27th June either. Unless one of the consultants has had an emergency and the others are picking up their slack??

Sending some ((()))

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That will be so disappointing but I'm sure frogmorton is right about the time it would take to go private.

I suspect the term 'emergency' is a bit of an umbrella one but, if a surgeon has had an accident or become ill, I'm sure hospitals can't just pluck another surgeon out of a pool. The surgeon who did my first TKRs had an accident with a hedge trimmer soon afterwards and severed some tendons in his hand. Orthopaedic guys have to be very strong but also good with delicate stuff. The last thing we'd want is someone operating who's not really up to it.

I hope your next one goes through OK and the result is well worth the wait. Just keep exercising :wink:

NB - I like your solution :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AliB
    Options
    Confirmation letter from the hospital arrived today...with no explanation other than I am now under a different consultant...so whether mine has left or ill it has put me back to the beginning of the waiting list. Am still going down the private route...am not prepared to wait another twelve weeks when in so much discomfort. Just waiting for the referral letter from the GP. now.

Funnily enough we toyed with the idea of private when we found out I had to have the replacement but when in early April the registrar said June it didn't sound too long a wait... :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am sorry I have had both hips replaced so I know what the waiting is like..I do hope you either get a cancellation or like you say go private..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Sounds very much as though 'something has happened' to your consultant.

They ought not to use the word emergency really - that is when your consultant dashes off to perform surgery on an accident victim surely?

Let us know how you get on see if private can beat the new NHS date of 9 weeks later than your original date.

My fingers are crossed for you.((()))
  • AliB
    Options
    Well....saw consultant last night...new date for my hip op...22nd June...not bad eh ?!!
    :bee:
  • AliB
    Options
    Hi Grace that's encouraging to hear of no more pain re your hips. Yes that's private....couldn't bare to wait another twelve weeks for the NHS...least I gave them a chance ! Trouble is my right hip is almost as bad as my left...'goodness your hip is bad' he said last ' 'night and the right one is catching up !' so am hoping to get the right one done before the end of the year...NHS or private for that one not sure yet !