Ankylosing spondylitis

Options
JasonH
JasonH Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Jun 2017, 02:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join your nice forum

I have had AS for several years now, a bit of a curvy spine but now on Humira which is amazing, I am still active (touch wood) and due to the Hunira pain free.

I like to road cycle for fitness but I feel its getting a bit dangerous and would prefer to jog, unsure as to whether this would be good for the AS, has anyone on here any experience of jogging with our condition?

Many thanks

Jason

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hl JasonH Welcome to the forum it is great you found us,you sound very positive and cheerful and although I suffer from OA I am sure there will be people on the forums that will respond to you.
    Everyone here is very friendly and understanding so I wish you all the best.
    Christine :sun:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello Jason and welcome to the forum. It's great that your AS is under control. Long may that continue.

I think, re jogging, you should ask your rheumatologist. Not long ago it would have been a categorical no but I've heard of some rheumatologists recently giving the OK to people with arthritis in knees or hips. Backs might be quite different though. Better safe than sorry.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I think the original Nicky on Coronation St used to run daily to keep his AS under control, that was his theory anyway.

Jason I can see what you mean roads are dangerous these days, but cycling is such good exercise and the gym is boring isn't it? Being outside has to be better for us.

You can get really good trainers these days and I would check with my rheumatologist just to be on the safe side.

Let us know how you get on

Toni xxx