neck OA, chiropractor or osteopath?

Sophiej
Sophiej Member Posts: 11
edited 18. Jun 2017, 11:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I've only posted on the Hello site so far this is my first visit here. I have OA in neck and some spinal degeneration. Neck pain is bad along with giddiness, headaches and tinnitus. I've tried physio but I think my problems have worsened since. I don't know whether to try chiropractor or osteopath. Can anyone advise please?
Thank you

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't really help. Personally, I'd prefer physio to either of the others but that's just me.

I remember you said you felt better after the physio had massaged your neck and shoulders. How about a good masseur?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sophiej
    Sophiej Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    Yes I thought physio was helping but as time goes on I think it is having the opposite effect. So pathetic to be moaning I know with what's happening in London
    Best wishes
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    I think it's a bit of a lottery as to what helps who but, whatever your choice, do ensure they are fully qualified. And good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I would discuss this with your GP first. When I first developed my neck problems and before I was diagnosed my GP told me to avoid chiropractors as he did think it was effective and I could end up spending a lotof money. Folloeing worsening problems and a MRI I was told to avoid anything like that and to be careful about massage as in my case, due to wear the damage was it could cause serious harm.

You say you have had physio, are you still doing your exercises? I no longer have physio but continue to do my exercises daily as I notice the difference if I don't.

A shaped pillow helps as does a heated neck wrap (but NEVER cold as it can cause you to faint).

I know there is a very good leaflet on neck pain that Arthritis Care have written, if you search you should be able to find it, if not I'm sure one of the mods can help.

But as I said, see your GP first.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich