Pregnancy and RA

Options
Natalie1712
Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
edited 20. Jun 2017, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Some of you may know from a previous post that I've come off methotrexate so as to try for a baby. A week Thursday and I will be clear from it to start trying. I'm excited but very nervous at the same time. Since coming off the methotrexate I've been going through a bad flare up and actually been signed off work the last 6 weeks. My GP says that since I'm still quite young (27) I hopefully shouldn't have any problems conceiving. But I'm thinking that since I'm not in a good place at the moment and not the healthiest, it may take longer than normal.

How did everyone else find trying to conceive when having arthritis? Do you think it affected it? I have a 3 year old but when I was pregnant with him I only had arthritis in my elbow so didn't have the full blown RA.

My brother and his partner are due to have a baby next week, and my best friend is also pregnant and due in October. I am very happy for them all and excited for them too but I can't help feel very jealous of them and angry (not angry at them personally but at myself). I know when they both planned to get pregnant it was a discussion then conceiving pretty much straight away, which is great for them both. We decided to have a second child towards the end of last year, but I had to wait to speak to my rheumatologist and the first appointment I could get was April to discuss coming off the methotrexate. And here we are 8 months later and we still aren't quite able to try!

I think I just wanted to get that wee moan out of the way there as I'm starting to panic that it may take months to conceive and I could get worse pain wise and fatigue. I'm due to go on holiday/honeymoon in a fortnight and getting a steroid injection a few days before so fingers crossed this helps with some relief! Wish me luck I get pregnant with a honeymoon baby :P

Thanks for taking the time to read

Natalie x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to be so brief, Natalie, but I have to go out.

My own story is RA since I was 15 (or possibly earlier). I had only to look hard at Mr SW to get pregnant :oops: Contraceptives are wonderful things in my book :lol: I fell pregnant both times as soon as I stopped taking them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Natalie1712
    Options
    Haha Sticky, I like that idea! Hopefully it will work for me too :D

That's good to know that your RA didn't affect you conceiving though.

How many children have you had?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Just the two. That was enough :wink:

Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Natalie1712
    Options
    Thank you :)