Hello - I'm new

Options
kazzab456
kazzab456 Member Posts: 23
edited 23. Jun 2017, 10:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I'd like to introduce myself :) I'm 44 and I've had OA in my hip for the last 6 years and I've recently been told that i've got it in my ac joint on my left shoulder.

I work full-time and at times really struggle with the fatigue that comes with OA. I don't take meds on a daily basis as I'm really worried about becoming addicted to them I only take them if I know I need a good nights sleep.

I'm usually a cup half full type of person but occasionally OA just gets me down and it's so hard to stay positive especially when my hip consultant just says that I'm too young for a hip replacement come back in 12 months. I just feel like saying that i want to enjoy a good quality of life when I'm young enough to appreciate it rather than when I'm older - sorry for the little moan, it's one of those down days

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi kazzab, it's Emma here again.

Please see my response to your other post with the information provided.

I would like to add that it is a struggle with OA when you're young. I'm 38 & I was told 4-years ago I was too young, and given I was diagnosed with RA at 28, I get where you're coming from. It hurts a lot physically and mentally as you want a normal life when you're young, to be active and to function every day without having to worry about having a good or bad day.

I do take a lot of medication but I have a lot of health complications with my body. But regardless of this, my philosophy remains firm that as bad as life can feel, everything happens for a reason. I've had to sell my flat recently as we couldn't afford to live there as I stopped work. I thought this was the worst thing that could happen, but now I am moving back to where my family are so I'm not on my own a lot. I get to have them nearby and that is a positive thing.

Give yourself a break, do something that makes you smile every day. Whether that be your family, friends or even ice cream. This will help you mentally get through these difficult times. You sound like a fighter and I know how tiring that can be, but you will get through this.

I truly wish you all the best for the future.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello kazzab456, I'm sorry you're having a 'down day' but with good reason. Arthritis gets all of us down at times.

It sounds as if you generally make a really good job of líving with it but pain is a gruelling thing that just nags away at us.

I was lucky in that I got my first knee replacements aged 31 but I'd had RA since I was 15. Like you, I felt, when offered them, that now, with two young sons, was when I needed them not when I was older. Since then I've had to have one replaced again and, I guess, the other really ought to be. I've also added two hip replacements. Just a glutton for punishment.

I think the reason for not replacing joints in younger people is more to do with money than anything else. At 41 you'd almost certainly need another later and this operation is a bigger one carrying more ongoing risks. I'm sure you'd settle for such risks, as I did, but, again, I think money is the main thing.

I hope, whatever does or doesn't happen, that you will indeed enjoy a good quality of life. I think you have some good advice there from ModEm. Just ensure you manage to enjoy life even if you do have to keep changing the things that bring happiness. Don't try to keep plodding on as before. See what can be changed to make things easier and better.

OK, sermon over :wink: Please join us on the Living With Arthritis forum. It can be relaxing to be with people who don't need everything spelled out in detail. And, sometimes, it can be fun :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright