Ibuprofen - does it help prevent joint damage? (or cause it?

ship69
ship69 Member Posts: 22
edited 26. Jul 2017, 04:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello

Because it helps stop inflammation does Ibuprofen actually help stop actual damage to the cartilage surfaces?
OR
Does ibuprofen help cause damage by masking the pain whilst the cartilage surfaces are grinding together?

Thanks

A. Is there much evidence that eating a plant-based diet helps OA?
B. If so what is the quality of that evidence?
C. Have any of you folks tried it, and have you had any success with improving OA symptoms?

Thanks

A. Is there any evidence that CBD/Hemp oil helps with OA?
B. Is so what is the quality of that evidence?
C. Have any of you tried it, and if so what were the results?

Background
A credible source was recommending it.

Thanks J

J

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi ship69,

Great to meet you, I've merged all your posts to make it easier for both yourself and our members to provide answers.

Ibuprofin is an anti-inflammatory and therefore reduces inflammation which is good. It is fairly mild so may not be enough by itself, be guided by your med team.

Plant based diet. People with arthritis have excluded foods from their diet and have good results however the same isn't true for everyone - try altering your diet and see if there are good results.

Hemp oil/CBT. Again some people find it helpful, others not.

If you gave a little more information about which type of arthritis you have and what you are doing so far it would be easier to advise, not all forms of arthritis are treated the same way.

Here's a booklet produced by arthritis care about types of arthritis

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/429/Understanding_FINAL_100516_web_original.pdf?1463670233

I hope that helps,
    Take care
    Yvonne x
  • ship69
    moderator wrote:
    Hi ship69,

Great to meet you, I've merged all your posts to make it easier for both yourself and our members to provide answers.

Ibuprofin is an anti-inflammatory and therefore reduces inflammation which is good. It is fairly mild so may not be enough by itself, be guided by your med team.

Plant based diet. People with arthritis have excluded foods from their diet and have good results however the same isn't true for everyone - try altering your diet and see if there are good results.

If you gave a little more information about which type of arthritis you have and what you are doing so far it would be easier to advise, not all forms of arthritis are treated the same way.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/429/Understanding_FINAL_100516_web_original.pdf?1463670233

I hope that helps,
    Take care
    Yvonne x

Thank you Yvonne. I have read that booklet but it does not answer my question about whether by reducing inflammation ibuprofen
    actually helps prevent joint damage.

J
  • Jo2402
    Jo2402 Member Posts: 12
    moderator wrote:
    Hi ship69,

I hope that helps,
    Take care
    Yvonne x

I found this really helpful Yvonne, thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ship69
    moderator wrote:
    Hi ship69,

I hope that helps,
    Take care
    Yvonne x

To get clear my GP thinks that I have pretty much straightforward Osteoarthritis (OA) - at least there are signs of spurs etc on my X-rays of my ankle. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) but that seems to be 95% solved by sticking to a FODMAPs diet. I also have mild reactive hypoglycemia and am slightly stalked by recurrent fungal infections.

But other than that and OA in my ankle I am pretty fit and healthy. Blood pressure low, BMI, cholesterol, all liver function etc all "pretty good".

That's all I know.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips, thanks to the damage caused by my other arthritis. Mine has occurred due to years of inflammation and joints being thrown out of kilter as I compensate for the painful joints. I understand what you mean about possible further damage being caused because the pain is masked but that will only be the case if one behaves stupidly due to that. None of the medications I have taken over my many arthritic years have reduced the pain (including pain relief) apart from oral steroids: I didn't cause extra damage but I certainly aggravated the damage already present and learned a useful lesson in that although the pain was much reduced the underlying problem was still there.

One of the occupational hazards of living is being ill. Usually one recovers (with or without medical intervention) but some conditions are more stubborn and refuse to go away. Any form of arthritis is progressive and degenerative, it is a very common disease (especially OA) and one is in the hands of the luck of the genetic draw. I was born with auto-immune troubles so for me this is more of the same but for someone who has enjoyed good health it must be a shock to be told that they have arthritis. To paraphrase Kathy Lette, good health prepares one for ill health in the way that lace making does for round the world yachting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben